• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

salmon should be cooked on a cedar plank, not steamed in foil, on a grill.

you can steam stuff inside on the stove.

edit: ahhh i see pastafarian has corrected this mistake already.

i would like to meet pastafarian and have a BBQ throwdown! (psst, it's Wagyu :) )

It's ON! Now all you have to do is travel to NY.

Oh, and the fish in foil isn't for the stove either. Engine block (done it) or dishwasher (read about it)!

I hope I spelled dishwasher correctly.

Upvote 0
Asparagus couldn't be simpler. Just cut off about an inch or so from the end, drizzle with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and grill. You can also wrap them in proscuitto when they're done and top with some hollandaise if you want to get fancy. Asparagus season is just wrapping up, so I'd get them on the grill soon!

My wife bought jarred Hollandaise the other day. Made me very sad. Yuck x 10! I can make it fresh faster than she can get that garbage out of a jar and into the microwave (which hopefully will kill the sauces awful sour flavor).

Upvote 0
I've only seen jarred hollandaise in some European stores, would never buy it. Homemade is always best, but it can be tricky for noobs who've never made a vinaigrette.
Jarred mayo on the other hand, can be the work of gods! (loves me some Dukes, but Hellmans is no slouch)

I believe she got it from Fairway. I think Trader Joes also carries it. Shame on them! Jarred mayo is a reasonable facsimile of the real thing, this stuff is not.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Glad to hear! Haven't had the grilled stuff in a while. We blanch the asparagus at work for our antipasti plate. Still going strong on the local stuff from Delaware.
What did you serve the ribeye with (sauce, cheese etc)?

I served the ribeye with a knife and fork. :) It was stand alone great!
We had the asparagus and some fresh bread with it.

Upvote 0
not a grillin thing but chicken breasts with garlic,salt,pepper then sautee fresh garlic and onoins in a little olive oil. then put breast in pan and sear bolth sides for like 30 sec's and then dump in white wine whorchester sauce or stubbs chicken marinade and coock low heat for like 30 min's and then a rice and veg. um great, most tenderouse chicken you can have.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
My favorite grilled chicken is beer butt chicken. I've not tried it yet on the pellet grill. Might be even better. I like to rub the chicken with some fresh garlic and some salt and coarse pepper. With it steamed with the beer it's always very tender and juicy.

Tonight I grilled out some burgers.... nothing fancy. I'm very impressed with how a pellet grill does burgers. No worry about flames and crusty edges. I cooked the with mesquite. Mesquite definitely is a stronger smoke taste than the hickory.

Upvote 0
My favorite grilled chicken is beer butt chicken. I've not tried it yet on the pellet grill. Might be even better. I like to rub the chicken with some fresh garlic and some salt and coarse pepper. With it steamed with the beer it's always very tender and juicy.

Tonight I grilled out some burgers.... nothing fancy. I'm very impressed with how a pellet grill does burgers. No worry about flames and crusty edges. I cooked the with mesquite. Mesquite definitely is a stronger smoke taste than the hickory.
yes wow the beer but chicken is oh so great, can make any way want!!!!!!:D:D:D:D. they are good...

Upvote 0
This pellet grill is really intriguing me. If we ever have some space to grill, it's definitely an option we'll look at. Glad it's working out for you! :)

It's not the grill of grills I'm sure but I'm enjoying mine. They aren't as economical to operate as propane. I'm guessing a bit over a buck and a half an hour fuel cost. You are cooking with 100% wood which is at least a renewable fuel. It also adds flavor and the speed of burn is regulated making cooking a lot easier. I will not rave about the build quality for the money I spent.. but it seems decent and it has a five year warranty. There are moving parts... two fans and an auger. There is also a hot rod that ignites the pellets. All grill people know that these are things that will fail at some point. There is also the electronics that control the fuel rate to the temp you set. I'll be honest and say that it all concerns me.
But... right now I'm elated with the grill. Time will tell the tale if it's for the long haul or not.

My last grill was a big name stainless steel propane unit. I was tired of replacing grill after grill so I spent the big bucks and bought what I thought would last me forever... not so. It had brass orifices which won't rust. I was very ready for the not rusting out and hot spots that I've experienced through the years. However, the brass did not rust.. they split open instead. My starter quit after a couple of seasons too. I was able to replace the burners (cast iron) at thirty bucks each but... but.. I spent a bunch on this grill to avert such problems. It still has a spot on the patio and will see use for it's rotisserie abilities.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
It's not the grill of grills I'm sure but I'm enjoying mine. They aren't as economical to operate as propane. I'm guessing a bit over a buck and a half an hour fuel cost. You are cooking with 100% wood which is at least a renewable fuel. It also adds flavor and the speed of burn is regulated making cooking a lot easier. I will not rave about the build quality for the money I spent.. but it seems decent and it has a five year warranty. There are moving parts... two fans and an auger. There is also a hot rod that ignites the pellets. All grill people know that these are things that will fail at some point. There is also the electronics that control the fuel rate to the temp you set. I'll be honest and say that it all concerns me.
But... right now I'm elated with the grill. Time will tell the tale if it's for the long haul or not.

My last grill was a big name stainless steel propane unit. I was tired of replacing grill after grill so I spent the big bucks and bought what I thought would last me forever... not so. It had brass orifices which won't rust. I was very ready for the not rusting out and hot spots that I've experienced through the years. However, the brass did not rust.. they split open instead. My starter quit after a couple of seasons too. I was able to replace the burners (cast iron) at thirty bucks each but... but.. I spent a bunch on this grill to avert such problems. It still has a spot on the patio and will see use for it's rotisserie abilities.
i work on grills and heat-cool-heat-cool on anything is hard whether stainless, brass or whatever.just have to deal with it. sorry!!!

Upvote 0
i work on grills and heat-cool-heat-cool on anything is hard whether stainless, brass or whatever.just have to deal with it. sorry!!!

I know I'm not alone with the rust out problem. I often wondered if I suffered more because I grill year round and that will truly produce the cold-hot-cold problem. I theorized the problem is the moisture that collects with the temp changes. It has to be something similar or the problem would be duplicated on all of the gas equipment inside the home.
The humidity of the outside complicated by the extreme temp changes.
I'm hoping to skirt some of those problems with the pellet grill. I'll likely be trading problems.. but I'm ready for a new problem lol.

My brother-in-law advocates buying the cheapest propane grill a person can get by with. Use it.. take care of it.. enjoy it. When it starts displaying problems.. toss it and buy another one. In the long run he may have the best slant on it. I can't bring myself to toss my old grill but if it had cost six hundred dollars less.... it would be history.

Upvote 0
I know I'm not alone with the rust out problem. I often wondered if I suffered more because I grill year round and that will truly produce the cold-hot-cold problem. I theorized the problem is the moisture that collects with the temp changes. It has to be something similar or the problem would be duplicated on all of the gas equipment inside the home.
I'm hoping to skirt some of those problems with the pellet grill. I'll likely be trading problems.. but I'm ready for a new problem lol.

My brother-in-law advocates buying the cheapest propane grill a person can get by with. Use it.. take care of it.. enjoy it. When it starts displaying problems.. toss it and buy another one. In the long run he may have the best slant on it. I can't bring myself to toss my old grill but if it had cost six hundred dollars less.... it would be history.
Well sounds great for inexpensive grills.with sears you can get an mpa(master repair agreement), it will fix grill and if can,t fix they will replace grill or any product no problems.

Upvote 0
Well sounds great for inexpensive grills.with sears you can get an mpa(master repair agreement), it will fix grill and if can,t fix they will replace grill or any product no problems.

That's not all bad either. How much does such a plan cost? I haven't shopped Sears in years. I don't know why... they have always treated me right. You know you will have to replace the stater and you know you will have to replace the orifices at some point. I guess you could weigh that against the cost of the mpa and decide which way you want to go.

Upvote 0

I used to be in your BIL's camp. After spending time and $$$ every season on the cheap gas grills, I bought a Weber. 10 years later I've replaced one igniter, that's it. The Weber's starting to look its age and will probable be replaced in a season or two, but for total cost of ownership for me has been way cheaper than the cheap grill. I also have an upright propane fueled pit and a traditional offset pit that doubles as a large direct fire charcoal grill....and a Weber kettle, a Aussie grill (for the cabana) and my old Brinkman combo pit.

Note to self, stop buying bbq equipment!

Upvote 0
^ Dang, someone is a serious grillaholic. I always wondered why there was a massive section in the bookstore's cooking area devoted to grilling. Guess it's for guys like this. ;)
My one fun summer project while in culinary school was to build a mud oven in my relative's backyard (thank god they let me). Was a great time hauling mud from the Hudson and baking that first loaf of bread. Although, I'm most happy that they finally demolished it a couple years later. That thing was an absolute eyesore. :eek:

Upvote 0
I used to be in your BIL's camp. After spending time and $$$ every season on the cheap gas grills, I bought a Weber. 10 years later I've replaced one igniter, that's it. The Weber's starting to look its age and will probable be replaced in a season or two, but for total cost of ownership for me has been way cheaper than the cheap grill. I also have an upright propane fueled pit and a traditional offset pit that doubles as a large direct fire charcoal grill....and a Weber kettle, a Aussie grill (for the cabana) and my old Brinkman combo pit.

funny lol!!!!

Upvote 0

I've never owned a Weber. Perhaps that's the root of my problems. My last propane grill was a Jenn Air..USA made. I understand they are all imports now. I have always heard great things about Webers. Ten years and only one igniter speaks volumes. My igniter system went out the third year or so. The cabinet is built like a Sherman tank but the working parts have let me down.

You do have an impressive grill arsenal! All I have is the Jenn Air, the newly purchased Traeger pellet grill, and an old Hibachi in the shed somewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones