• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

'sup again

Who changed the parameters for guests posting new topics that we cannot report?
And where's my avatar picture?

The owner, the owner allowed guests to post again. We are seeing if it helps get some more activity.

And you avatar shows fine for me, you on mobile?

Upvote 0
upload_2020-1-10_17-9-2.png

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Who changed the parameters for guests posting new topics
This is a revival of a feature we had at the height of Android frenzy.
that we cannot report?
Hmmm...I see a 'report' option on them. :thinking:
And where's my avatar picture?
I see it, as usual. Your issues appear to be with the app--if I've understood correctly what you mean by 'mobile.'

Upvote 0
If you want to encourage more activity in this site, then I'd be interested in some reasonable discussion around things happening in the news. However the P&CA forum is a no-go zone, because of certain idiots who wreck any reasonable discussion. And that's why nobody goes in there. Wasted opportunity to get people talking, creating threads. Which is what you want, right?
As I've mentioned before, let staff have their say in there, if they want to air opinion, and are happy with that. More the merrier I say.
And you have to get a bit tougher clamping down on personal attacks. Zero tolerance in fact. There are some persistent offenders who do it. You know who I mean. ;)

Upvote 0
Great post, @LV426, and I agree 100% 99.99%. I waver on the staff/P&CA issue. I know that when I was staff, I was secretly kind of glad we weren't allowed to post in there. Let me tell you, some of my opinions would knock your socks off. :eek:

So while I'm not quite sure about that, I do think that tighter monitoring of comments in there, including zero-tolerance for breaking rules, could open it up for more, and more animated, discussion.

I stay out of there, with rare, rare exceptions. And it's not for a lack of things to say! Or even concern about being shredded for my opinions/beliefs (trust me, I can hold my own against anyone). Rather, it's the overall outright ugliness, mud-slinging, and name-calling that I just prefer to avoid.

Personally, I know that people with opposite opinions/beliefs can have intelligent, respectful conversations, because I've done it, both in real life and online. All it requires is all parties understanding--and abiding by--the rules. *shrug*

Upvote 0
Great post, @LV426, and I agree 100% 99.99%. I waver on the staff/P&CA issue. I know that when I was staff, I was secretly kind of glad we weren't allowed to post in there. Let me tell you, some of my opinions would knock your socks off. :eek:

So while I'm not quite sure about that, I do think that tighter monitoring of comments in there, including zero-tolerance for breaking rules, could open it up for more, and more animated, discussion.

I stay out of there, with rare, rare exceptions. And it's not for a lack of things to say! Or even concern about being shredded for my opinions/beliefs (trust me, I can hold my own against anyone). Rather, it's the overall outright ugliness, mud-slinging, and name-calling that I just prefer to avoid.

Personally, I know that people with opposite opinions/beliefs can have intelligent, respectful conversations, because I've done it, both in real life and online. All it requires is all parties understanding--and abiding by--the rules. *shrug*

It's not even hard to understand. Simple rule - attack the issues, not each other!
There IS a way of having a civilised discussion with someone, even if you completely disagree. I mean politicians do it all the time. And just because I disagree with someone, doesn't mean I don't like them. What I absolutely cannot abide, is when someone resorts to personal slurs and insults. I never, ever initiate that kind of thing, and I have a very low tolerance for people who kick off with an attitude like that.
This is where moderation should be very tight, and not let things escalate.

Upvote 0

Turns out I've got a lot of stuff to say too :D
It wouldn't make $2c worth of difference to my opinion of anyone, even if their views were extreme, regardless of whether they are regular members, or staff. But hey, that's the rule.
I can respect anyone's opinion of something, even if it's completely different to mine. Issues like Brexit - ok not a great subject here, as most folks have no interest in that. But it's a completely polarising subject. And let me tell you there have been some very heated arguments over here about it.
Another subject is Trump. Being a UK resident, I would be fascinated to hear views from US people on what he's doing. But again, it's a similar polarising subject, and you just cannot start such a discussion about him in P&CA without it turning into total garbage. Absolute waste of time.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

Thank you @MoodyBlues, very informative

Upvote 0
Simple rule - attack the issues, not each other!
There IS a way of having a civilised discussion with someone, even if you completely disagree.
^ This. In real life, I've done this for decades, even having best friends whose political views were so opposite mine, we never should've even had civilized talks, let alone become best friends!

We didn't lay down any rules. It was just understood that each was entitled to their opinion, and respect, and carried on from there. It led to all sorts of interesting conversations, even mind-changing ones, when one of us presented--and supported with facts--why our stance made better sense.

I'd love a place for interacting like that on AF...but P&CA, in its current incarnation, isn't it...

Upvote 0
I'd love a place for interacting like that on AF...but P&CA, in its current incarnation, isn't it...

It can be called other things - "Debate chamber" etc. but unfortunately (on any site, it's not unique to here) there will always be people who don't get it. And to prevent things getting out of hand, you need tight control. But then of course some start bleating about unfair treatment, or even worse, censorship. It really is pretty simple though. Obey the forum rules, which means don't promote racist views and other things like that, and don't start personal attacks. Anyone transgressing those rules immediately gets infracted, and repeat offenders are banned from the forum. No pandering or playing it soft.
You may say that's harsh, but with the absence of control, look what happens - nobody talks, nobody creates threads. I don't go in there because it's a complete waste of time and quite frankly I don't need to raise my blood pressure for no good reason :) This is just one factor in the site decline of course. Lack of regular member contributions in general, and people not sticking around are other reasons.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones