1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Super Amoled Lifespan

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Blindead, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Blindead

Blindead Lurker
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    How much is the lifespan on a super amoled screen on auto-brightness 30 sec turn-off time life whit live wallpaper.Btw custom rom's help vs this problem or just hide's it cuz it's k anyway.
    Sorry if i posted wrong it's my first post on android forum and i want be sure if to buy or not the galaxy s.Tnx for the support.:D

Advertisement

2. Geryatrix

Geryatrix Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    Unfortunately, that question is the same as asking us what your lifespan will be.

The phone has not yet been available for a year, I had mine when it first became available in the U.K. and to date I have noticed no depreciation in screen performance.

Any further comment would be pure speculation, as there are no facts to base conclusions on.

3. ArmadaTattoo

ArmadaTattoo Well-Known Member
    None

I have heard that touchscreen technology in general can withstand 500,000 touches in any given area. I dont know how accurate that figure is and as Geryatrix pointed out, it is just speculation.

I have not heard of any expected lifetime figures for the Amoled screen.

Besides, the lifetime of the screen will probably be longer than the lifetime of the phone itself as surely most users will replace their phone within 2 to 3 years?

My point is that the lifetime of the screen shouldnt be your deciding factor ;)

4. seepage

seepage Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Ive had mine since last June. it has often been used as a satnav which means the screen being on auto for up to 3 hours at a time. The screen looks like it did the day I bought it.
    I also carry it around in my pocket with no screen protection. The back is a bit scratched though.

5. Blindead

Blindead Lurker
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    I want to know at a 7 hour per day usage on auto brightness will be too much for it?I normally use the landscape 20-30 times per day:) so i don't think it will burn the notification as in 2.3 is a black theme for it.I'm using live wallpapers and switching them every 3-4 days and changing the widget placement.Maybe this coud help?I think if i arange the notification/widgets from the screen and put a live wallpaper there is no chance to apear a burn-in because everything is in move(avoiding the static image that will persist in time).Altough this is my tought's.Let me know your opinion.I know it's not a thread dedicated but it will help me if you give me some indications between galaxy s and nexus s which one to chose?
    Tnx for support.

6. FlipModeOC

FlipModeOC Newbie
    None

I think you are overdoing it, YES the AMOLED loses brightness over time but we are talking around 14,000 hours till half brightness...
    I have a feeling you will not be keeping the phone for that long ;)

7. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Lurker
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Network Engineering
    Alaska
    These are not CRT and you do not need to treat them as such.