1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Super Amoled plus lifespan ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Madaro, May 18, 2012.

1. Madaro

Madaro Newbie
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    okay so I read the news about why samsung used a pentile screen in the galaxy s3 instead of the super amoled plus screen.The reason(as samsung said) is that it has a longer lifespan that the super amoled plus(5 years instead of **2 YEARS**).Does that mean my phone's screen will degrade 2 years from now ? I'm planning to keep the phone for 3~4 years(used it for 4 months so far).I use my phone an hour a day on an average basis(might use it up to 3 hours sometimes) and I set brightness at 20% while in door and 75% when outdoor.I don't have screen burn so far(my phone is rooted and I usually flash different themes so even the status bar changes and I use 24 hour format so no AM/PM)...this is making me kinda worried,what do u think ?

Advertisement

2. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    The blue subpixels in super amoled start to degrade first after about two years, so the colour might not be as good then as it is now. It will be usable, and not all pixels will go at once.

Madaro likes this.
  3. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    New SII screens should be cheaper by then anyway, currently roughly $160-$200 Au dollars including shipping.

I'm interested to see if the screen (it's qHD) from the new korean model of SII (SHV-E170K) will fit onto the normal S2, the gorilla glass front itself appears to be the same size and the display is still 4.3 inches, it's just the pin connector that may not fit. Might have to transplant some body parts too if it won't go quietly.
    [​IMG]

Might be easier to stuff most of the S2's chipset inside this phone rather than put this phone's front and bezel onto the S2.

Madaro likes this.
  4. Flea0

Flea0 Newbie
    None

Apr 5, 2012
    yeah I was pretty shocked at some examples of display burn in I've seen on youtube, and pretty mad that NOWHERE on the instructions and warnings for the S2 are you warned about it. In which cases could one ask for a replacement display under warranty?

5. Madaro

Madaro Newbie
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    So its just the color quality that will decrease ? I can live with that...This basically means it will be like a super amoled screen without the plus right ?

6. Raptor_Jesus

Raptor_Jesus On Probation
    None

Apr 6, 2013
    Male
    I can confirm that the S2 i9100 screen goes much better over time. The blueish tend to fade.