• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Super Hot Phone

so are you using jrummy's app to determine how hot its getting?

80+ is ok 95+ is bad

underclock your phone and undervolt it,
basically go from 1000 mhz max to about 800 max
and 400 min
under low voltage settings.

do some browsing on the phone. and then see how hot it gets

mine would occasionally get that hot a while back running liberty, but not anymore

Upvote 0
But this only started happening after GB. Only after I went from FROYO Liberty to leaked GB Liberty/ official Stock GB and now GB Liberty ....... i am by no means blaming Liberty ROM at all. I was thinking it was a GB issue?..... My friends stock X unrooted gets super hot as well.

Imma try out the new OC setting VS recommended and see if that helps if not I might need some help SBF'ing to stock GB for warranty exhange as I have only had my X since DEC.

Upvote 0
well before you do a warranty exchange here is what you can do
as i do recommend this highly

after you try the oc settings i told you and that doesnt work this is what i want you to do

-sbf to .340 froyo
-root
-through dx/d2 bootstrapper wipe data and cache and install the 2 part of GB rooted deodexed ota
-through dx/d2 bootstrapper wipe data and cache and install apex 2.0 rc2
-give it a trial run and see if it gets hot, if it does

-sbf back to .340 and
-root
-through dx/d2 bootstrapper wipe data and cache and install the 2 part of GB rooted deodexed ota
-install Liberty (Any GB Version)
-test and see if it gets hot

if it gets hot again sbf back to .340 and contact your warranty center

these trials should go on for at least 1-2 days to actively test if the phone is heating up too much

Upvote 0
well before you do a warranty exchange here is what you can do
as i do recommend this highly

after you try the oc settings i told you and that doesnt work this is what i want you to do

-sbf to .340 froyo
-root
-through dx/d2 bootstrapper wipe data and cache and install apex 2.0 rc2
-give it a trial run and see if it gets hot, if it does

-sbf back to .340 and
-root
-install Liberty (Any GB Version)
-test and see if it gets hot

if it gets hot again sbf back to .340 and contact your warranty center

these trials should go on for at least 1-2 days to actively test if the phone is heating up too much

OK, will do! But the Droid OC will only let me do 300 or 600 min/ WHich one?

Upvote 0
My Droid X was doing tthe exact same thing starting with the .591 leak and continuing to do so up to and including .596. It didn't stop until I installed DarkSlide X. Not sure what's going on with the new blur but I have heard about this overheating from many people since upgrading to GingerBlur.

Try doing the same tasks with wifi on and see if it still gets that hot. Mine was only getting super hot while using 3G data.

Upvote 0
My Droid X was doing tthe exact same thing starting with the .591 leak and continuing to do so up to and including .596. It didn't stop until I installed DarkSlide X. Not sure what's going on with the new blur but I have heard about this overheating from many people since upgrading to GingerBlur.

Try doing the same tasks with wifi on and see if it still gets that hot. Mine was only getting super hot while using 3G data.

Mine gets hot on WiFi and 3G! :mad: Ever since GingerBlur!! On FroYo it would only get hot like this when I was using it for a while when I was OC'd at 1.25-1.35

Upvote 0
My phone does hit 100 almost daily. Really don't see how it couldn't when its soo hot outside anyway. No I don't see this as a problem. I have seen no proof of hitting 100 causing damage. Fact is there is no magic number that is gonna fry your phone. I guess hot is a subjective number. I don't consider 100 as too hot.

Upvote 0
My phone hits about that daily as well. It is in no way healthy for a phone to get that high of a temp. Take any piece of electronic device for example...I will use a xbox 360- if the temp gets too high if will cause UNSEEN damage like the Red Rings of Death. You dont seen it until its too late.
Over the holiday weekend I took a 4 hour drive to Philly and my phone got up to over 120+ degrees!?!? Thats hot enough to melt something or fry a chip...

Upvote 0
hitting 95 isnt bad thai, hitting 100 degrees on a compact peice of hardware, such as a phone, if it continues to do such it can cause damage, however, if its random, not all the time it wont.

of course your phone is going to get hot outside, its outside! its hot outside this time of year, we all know the dx doesnt like hot temperatures because some of us have found out what happens when this happens.

regardless this is an issue that needs to be fixed, and i hope thai gets it taken care of because we want him to walk away happy :)

Upvote 0
sitting still doing nothing getting up that high is ok
heavy gps use will cause it to reach such temps, all because it is constantly searching for a better connection and establishing said connection.

if this is where you are experiencing your high temps then its normal. if it just sits in your hand and your texting, and browsing and it gets that hot, its a problem that needs to be addressed

Upvote 0
Programs that use gps and data can easily push temps over 100. Streaming music over 3g while plugged into charger will easily push you over 100 if done long enough. Doing anything while charging will result in higher temps than when not charging. Charging with device stuck in windshield mount doing basically anything its gonna get hot. I'm guessing it would be easy to hit 120 on a 4hr trip using gps while charging, while stuck on the dash baking in the sun. My opinion is if your not constantly going over 100 I would'nt worry much about it. Hope you get things sorted!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones