• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Super Slow Motion Video on Droid X

kevro_86

Apr 8, 2010
Other than being briefly listed as a feature on the upcoming Droid X, no additional information has been provided regarding the "super slo mo" that the Droid X video camera is supposed to be capable of.

Is this feature still a go? I went to the Motorola website and it isn't even mentioned. Could they have pulled it?

I always thought that super slow motion video required quite a jump in frames per second (fps). As far as I know, the Droid X camera can only do 24 @ 720P. Maybe it will do super slow-mo only at the lower resolutions.

If anyone has tested this feature, or has confirmed that it is or is not there, please let us know.

This feature could be very helpful in showing the kids how to improve a baseball/golf swing, gymnastics stunts, etc.

Thanks!
Kevro

Other than being briefly listed as a feature on the upcoming Droid X, no additional information has been provided regarding the "super slo mo" that the Droid X video camera is supposed to be capable of.

Is this feature still a go? I went to the Motorola website and it isn't even mentioned. Could they have pulled it?

I always thought that super slow motion video required quite a jump in frames per second (fps). As far as I know, the Droid X camera can only do 24 @ 720P. Maybe it will do super slow-mo only at the lower resolutions.

If anyone has tested this feature, or has confirmed that it is or is not there, please let us know.

This feature could be very helpful in showing the kids how to improve a baseball/golf swing, gymnastics stunts, etc.

Thanks!
Kevro

I saw that to but I can't see how with the max shutter speed of the camera unless it's some software trick. Of course I could be completely off base. Would be cool though. It also has a panoramic feature.

Upvote 0
I found a video on YouTube:
At 2:30 he shows how to get to slo mo and fast motion modes, so it's there.
He doesn't record samples though.
YouTube - chuongvision's Channel

He also has a decent camera walktrhu:

I still haven't found a video sample of Slo Motion mode. My last phone the LG Dare had a Slo Motion mode. It was fun to record hummingbirds, etc and watch the playback.

Upvote 0
Because recording at high fps with high resolution takes very powerful hardware. Most dedicated video cameras don't have it, and ones that can do hi-def with slo-mo are $$$$
not only that it's a huge bump in fps. each frame is a certain amount of "data" and the more frames you have the more data that records. if you had 720p slo-mo you would fill up your drives pretty quickly. :eek: does anyone know what speeds the slo-mo is recording at?

Upvote 0
I found a video on YouTube:
At 2:30 he shows how to get to slo mo and fast motion modes, so it's there.
He doesn't record samples though.

He also has a decent camera walktrhu:

I still haven't found a video sample of Slo Motion mode. My last phone the LG Dare had a Slo Motion mode. It was fun to record hummingbirds, etc and watch the playback.
Wow another LG Dare user. I thought I was the only one. I loved the slow motion video recording and was excited that the DX supposedly had it to. I wanted to see how they worked.

Upvote 0
How many seconds of video did you record in the slo motion video?

For example my LG Dare recorded at 120 frames, and then played back at 30 frames for "slow motion". So 10 seconds of video in slow motion was 40 seconds played back.

I'm not sure, I'll do a little test right now.

Edit: OK, as you record the time goes up in 3 second intervals rather than a second at a time.

Upvote 0
Wow another LG Dare user. I thought I was the only one. I loved the slow motion video recording and was excited that the DX supposedly had it to. I wanted to see how they worked.

Yea, loved my LG Dare. Had it for about a year and a half then I went to Android (Droid Eris) in January of this year and haven't looked back. Excited about the Droid X. Maybe it will hold me until the 4G LTE Android phones start coming out next year (maybe?, hopefully)!

Hey Airmaxx23 can you get us a Fast Motion video sample too? I guess this is for sporting events, and fast moving subjects for a clearer image.

Upvote 0
Yea, loved my LG Dare. Had it for about a year and a half then I went to Android (Droid Eris) in January of this year and haven't looked back. Excited about the Droid X. Maybe it will hold me until the 4G LTE Android phones start coming out next year (maybe?, hopefully)!

Hey Airmaxx23 can you get us a Fast Motion video sample too? I guess this is for sporting events, and fast moving subjects for a clearer image.

I can if you'd like but I can tell you that it's just the opposite of how the slow motion is and it's in 720p rather than vga. For every 4 seconds of footage you record it only shows up as 1 second on the timer so when you play it back it's 4X speed. Recording for 20 seconds will give you a 5 second video.

Upvote 0
I can if you'd like but I can tell you that it's just the opposite of how the slow motion is and it's in 720p rather than vga. For every 4 seconds of footage you record it only shows up as 1 second on the timer so when you play it back it's 4X speed. Recording for 20 seconds will give you a 5 second video.

I thought it was a faster shutter speed for clarity, but it's more like the old Benny Hill sketches where everyone runs around real fast. Nah, i don't need to see that.

How about audio in both modes?
Is it sped up and slowed down (chipmunks and Satan respectively)?
How does it sound?
Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones