1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Supervising a Pre-Teen's Android

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by webmanoffesto, Mar 11, 2019.

1. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    I will soon buy my pre-teen an Android phone. I've postponed it as long as I can.
    What do you recommend for

- Backup and restore to new phone (these phones are easily broken and damaged)
    - - Apps
    - - Data

- If lost
    - - Wipe data
    - - Locate lost phone (locate child?)
    - - I see that Google's "Find My Device" works well. I assume that the "Secure Device: Lock phone and sign out of your account" works well too, as long as the phone is powered on. https://myaccount.google.com/find-your-phone

Supervise and/or restrict child's usage (e.g. types of content, hours / times of useage)

I know this is pretty general but it pretty much lays out the concerns I have and the reasons why I've postponed this purchase as much as I can.

I know there are great remote access apps. Why do I seem to have so little control over my child's phone.

I tried using one of the Google Family Link. But my child's Google account was originally set up as a typical over-13, and when I declared them "my child" that triggered a "discrepancy" and it locked my child's Google account. I think we unlocked it by purchasing something with a credit card. Sorry I didn't document every little detail.

Advertisement

#1 webmanoffesto, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Don't. Wait until she is 13.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    This is a pretty good article on how to setup your child's phone.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-phone-tablet-settings-kids-children/

As for backing up, the only thing you'll need to setup a separate app for is text messages. Everything else should sync to the cloud. As a parent, I have to ask, do you trust your child to play by the rules or to try and get around them?

PitCarver likes this.
  4. skullkid383

skullkid383 Newbie
    None

Jun 4, 2018
    What kid doesn't look for loopholes tbh I bet as soon that kid gets one he/she learns how to unlock bootloader and root it and maybe after a lil flash a ROM

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Sure kids will push boundaries ... that's what kids, do. But, how far is the question? Not all kids are going to blatantly defy their parent's rules, even if they don't like them. And, while it is becoming harder to root and flash many phones, it's more a matter of trust than ability.

6. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

Jan 23, 2013
    Male
    Electrical, Electronics
    Florida
    You'll have few viable Mfgr options in which I'm aware are more easily restored/rescued, would be:
    - Google (Pixels #1-3)
    - LG
    - Motorola
    - Samsung

7. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion counts.
    VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Formerly Linux sysadmin/programmer
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    You didn't ask, but I'd like to recommend putting the phone in an OtterBox Defender Series case. They provide 100% protection, enclosing the entire device--including the screen!

Edit: I no sooner posted this...and I received a phone call, from my grandson. I mean HIS name. :eek: He's 11 and this is his first phone--which he saved up for, and split its cost with his parents. So now they're doing as the OP. :)

#7 MoodyBlues, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Unforgiven likes this.
  8. psionandy

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    So.. We've gone through this completely.. with lil MzPsion in our house. (now 12)

I'm not saying what we've done is in any way 'right' or that it would work with anyone else

She's had either my, or my wife's old phones.. so she's currently using an LG G3, before that she had a sony experia, and briefly a note II (which has now gone to my mum)

We created a Google Play account for her (which we have the password to) and that allows her photos to be backed up with google photos. She is on a PAYG (Pre pay) sim, with a data and call allowance which we top up every month.

Normally she uses wifi in the house (we have a router with parental controls on it.. and can move to https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/ if we need to)

And we use the google 'find my phone' and potential wipe... These will trigger a message on the device.. normally we only use it when we can't find the phone!

We've chosen not to use any surveillance/spyware/child snooping software on it though.

But we have some ground rules
    1) if she's signing up for ANY service she needs to tell us... and we have the right to say yes/no
    2) If we ask (and we don't often ask) she has to hand over her phone, so we can see what she's doing
    3) If ever she has anything sent to her.. and she's unhappy/unsure/scared/worried.. she can tell us in a completly blame free manner. She's not going to get into trouble for that.....
    4) we have rules about where she can/can't take it. Her school has strict rules about phones, so it stays at home. If she needs to get in touch with us whilst she is in school, they have procedures for that.

Last week... we had a really interesting little chat about why streaming video on a data connection was a lot more expensive than other ways of getting movies. We even went through and did the maths... and talked about bandwidth. She's a smart kid

9. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    In order to use Google Family Link do I have to declare that the child is under 13, and does that mean they will get a very limited YouTube such as Disney, "Saturday morning cartoons", very-small-child type videos?

10. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Saturday Morning Cartoons are so over. Don't even mention them to younglings

11. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Okay, but after she is 13 and I buy her a smart phone, how do I properly administer and supervise her usage?

12. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    First: Do not take her with you when you purchase the phone.
    Second: Do not tell her you had parental controls enabled and configured at the phone store.
    Third: Do not track her. If you call her when she wanders into a sketchy neighborhood she will know and take steps.

PitCarver likes this.
  13. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    My pre-teen child is generally well behaved, generally honest, and does not have hacking abilities. But if the tablet is available and the wifi is available at night ...
    But, that would be unusual because I set my router to automatically shut off the wifi at 8:15 pm. But mistakes happen, like one time I turned on my WiFi Hotspot in the car to give WiFi to the tablet, and then we went in the house together and the WiFi hotspot stayed on until I noticed it at 9:30 pm.

I'm right now exploring "Add parental supervision to your child’s existing Google Account, you can use Family Link" https://support.google.com/families/answer/9055704. They make this unnecessarily difficult.

#13 webmanoffesto, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    psionandy likes this.