1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Support] Bolt stuck in 3G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by karend1840, Mar 28, 2011.

1. karend1840

karend1840 Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Tried 3G/4G toggle using test menu. Now phone is stuck in 3G and I cannot return to test mode with #*##4636#*# - the entry just 'sits' on the phone keypad and nothing happens. Anyone out there experienced this? Help appreciated.

Advertisement

2. fbm111

fbm111 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2010

Could be having 4g issues in your area? Do a restore. Factory reset. Not sure what else you could try?

Let us know what works if anything.

3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    I've had this issue a few times after loading a non-stock ROM. The last time it happened, the only things I tried for 2 days were reboots, turning airplane mode on and then back off, etc.). I had discovered what I thought was the "fix" previously but I wanted to make sure it wasn't just network issues...

I finally powered the phone down, removed the Verizon sim card and then rebooted the phone without the sim card. The phone alerts you that it is missing the sim card (obviously). I then powered the phone down again, put the sim card back in, and then rebooted the phone. I had 4G back instantly.

Give it a shot and report back ;)

4. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have noticed this issue as well, however the first time I noticed it I wasn't rooted at all. IMHO it is VZW working on the network, it doesn't happen consistently which is what makes me think it is a network issue.

The network is brand new and I'm sure that VZW is going to be tweeking it for a bit longer. Once we see some other phones come on line I'm sure the network will start to get more stable. Right now I've only had an issue a couple times and it fixed itself.

5. BetaMan

BetaMan Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Male
    Self Employed IT Engineer
    U.S.A.
    Since I rooted I'm unable to do a *228. It just sits for a second then goes back to the dial screen. I have the "Perfect Storm" ROM on my TBolt.

6. boilator

boilator Member
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Root has nothing to do with *228. This function is not available on this 4G phone. There are other posts which explain this in more detail.

Lator

7. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    I agree...the network could kick 4G off. The only times it has ever happened to me (where I lost 4G), has been when loading a new ROM. New ROM = no 4G = WTF? :D

I'm guessing that removing the sim card and then reinserting it forces the phone to re-register to the network (or something along that line). I don't know how else I could explain 2 full days with no (and I mean not once) having a 4G connection (including reboots, going in and out of airplane mode, turning WiFi on and off again, etc)...then bam! 4G instantly returns after removing and reinserting the SIM and hasn't switched back to 3G since.