1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support - Problems restoring individual apps' data from SD card

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Member403439, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Member403439

Member403439 Guest

Hi guys,

I have just got myself a lovely new Galaxy SIII and I'm trying to restore the data on some of my apps. These are all apps that have their own export/backup to SD features. The problem is they don't seem to find or recognise the back-up files.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Do I need to move the back-up files to a new directory that the apps will have an easier time finding? (eg, to internal memory - I have already tried the root directory but it didn't work)

I am moving from a HTC Desire which I had used the SDK to change the default install location to SD.

The apps in question are:

Extensive Notes (paid version)
    Shelves
    Dolphin Browser

The good news is I still have the old Desire so I can put the SD card back in and everything is still working there.

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast

Greetings Azorc,

I think the problem lies in how the memory is being seen. The S3's internal memory is now the "SD card" , your removable SD card is now seen as EXT (external) Memory.

I think your solution is to install the apps as normal, don't worry about the data recovery yet.

Then once the folders have been made in the internal memory, use a file manager to copy the backed up files from your removable SD card, over into the new folders in the internal memory of the s3.

Then try to re-install the backed up data from within the app. I think this should work.

Hope this helps.

Member403439 likes this.
  3. Member403439

Member403439 Guest

Yup! Worked perfectly. Just took a bit of fiddling to figure out the proper file paths for everything.

Thanks a million! My sanity is saved :)

4. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast

NP,

Glad it worked