1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jreink01, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jreink01

jreink01 Android Expert

I have Google Now installed on Midnights 1.20 rom. Everytime I'm in Google Now, whether through the Google App or through the widget, if I hit the back button, it does not take me out of the app (closes). I have to hit the home button, but when I do that, doesnt that leave Google Now still running?? Is there another way of closing Google Now?? I have read other posts about it not closing when you open it through the app, but not through the widget. Is anyone else having this same problem and is there a fix or way to close this app when opened. Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jvillejoe

jvillejoe Android Enthusiast

Hold the home button for at least 2 seconds, till the running applications menu comes up, and slide to eliminate/close the program.

3. jreink01

jreink01 Android Expert

Thanks for the reply, but I will hold down the home button and slide torwards the search button and nothing happened, did this numerous times. If I hold the home button down for more than 1 second, the recent apps windows pops up. Either its not working or Im not doing something right??

4. jvillejoe

So the recent apps come up, but when you slide to the left, or right, it stays there, still running? It doesn't slide off the screen?

5. jreink01

jreink01 Android Expert

It stays running. When I hold and try to swipe, the recents apps come up, then I can swipe right or left to get rid of those but then it takes me back to the google now page.

6. jreink01

jreink01 Android Expert

Tapping the home button takes it off the screen back to my main home page, but, does it still run when I do that?? I cant tell if it runs or not but it seems like my phone chews through my battery faster.I use the drop down screen and its not in there??

7. jvillejoe

Hmm. Did you do a fresh install? I am on Ultramatrix v1 Rom and Google Now works perfect. I do have the same problem as far as Google Now not exiting with the back button. Then I hit home, hold the home button, the recent apps comes up, but I'm able to swipe it to the left/right and it closes the app. Google now does run in the background if you change it in setting like it did because I like weather updates and traffic updates. So, not sure why you can't swipe it off the recent apps page. It might, just be the rom your on. I have seen people running the same rom, and it works great for them, so I'm not sure.

8. jreink01

jreink01 Android Expert

I can swipe other apps that are on the screen but google now does not show up. When Im done swiping all of my apps, it takes me to back to the google now screen.

9. thebryceee

thebryceee Android Expert

Did you check in task manager

10. kagevazquez

kagevazquez Well-Known Member

Go into your settings go to apps find the app click on it and click force close click yes and it will close

11. jreink01

jreink01 Android Expert

When I go into task manager, the google search app is in there and I can close it that way. I have also found that I can hit the home button when I'm in google search, then hold the home button to bring up recent apps and google seach is in there, I can just swipe it to close, but if I long press the home button while still in google search, the recent apps comes up, but google search is not in there. Very weird that I have to exit the app by hitting the home button before it will appear in recent apps.

12. thebryceee

thebryceee Android Expert

Thats how it works for every app. The current app you're in won't show up on recent apps.

jreink01 likes this.
  13. mastersoup

mastersoup Android Enthusiast

the back button doesnt work with the google now on ics. just gotta hit home. it stays running if youre signed up for the google now service since it updates and sends notifications. it usually isnt much memory, just enough to stay active and send you a notification should your sports team play etc. your main issue i think would be youd need to disable google now and use it only for searching.

jreink01 likes this.