• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sure wish VZW\Motorola were more forthcoming

flyinjoe13

Android Enthusiast
May 18, 2010
Want to get the Droid so bad right now, but i'm so afraid that Droid 2 will be out in 2-3 months and that VZW won't let me trade in my few months old Droid for a Droid 2. Then I either have to pay full price or wait for two years knowing I could have had something better if I woud have just waited.

Sure wish they were more open with information about future release dates or even offered some kind of discounted trade in program. And I know that there will always be something better just around the corner but if you get in right from the start, that corner may be at least 6 months away.

There's a way you can do this...you buy the phone at the full price and then Verizon can do nothing when you want to trade in. When you buy a phone from Verizon like the Droid, you are paying $200 for it and Verizon gives that $200 plus another $200 or so to Motorola, they lock you in for 2 years and make you pay your monthly dues so they can make that money back that they had to pay for you to have your phone at the $200 price you paid for it. Wireless carriers LOSE money on phones but more than make it back in your service contract. If you want to upgrade your phone willy nilly anytime you please, buy the phone outright, then when another comes out you want, sell the current one on ebay and buy the new one outright as well.

Oh, and in the technology world, there will always be something a little better in 6 months-1 year from now...always.

Upvote 0
Sure wish they were more open with information about future release dates or even offered some kind of discounted trade in program.
Good luck. It's this way with all carriers and manufacturers and I don't see things changing any time soon. You can rely on rumors if you want but I find them to be highly unreliable even from the best sources. If you want it now, I suggest making your purchase decision based on what has been officially announced.

Upvote 0
There is always going to be something just around the corner, but I would wait before going with the Droid right now. I would say jump on it, but unless you pay full price, you're stuck with a phone for two years, and it's already looking a little old with all the Snapdragon phones coming out. In 2 years, the Droid will really be looking old, I think. What about the Incredible? The only downside I've seen is the screen in sunlight issue, but if that's not a big deal, I'd probably go with that.

Upvote 0
If you go over to howardforums, they got a few guys on the inside that know about the release dates of these upcoming phones. I'm pretty sure both the Droid2 and Shadow are coming out sometime around August.

The Shadow will be my next phone:

500xmotorola-shadow.jpg

Upvote 0
Want to get the Droid so bad right now, but i'm so afraid that Droid 2 will be out in 2-3 months and that VZW won't let me trade in my few months old Droid for a Droid 2. Then I either have to pay full price or wait for two years knowing I could have had something better if I woud have just waited.

Sure wish they were more open with information about future release dates or even offered some kind of discounted trade in program. And I know that there will always be something better just around the corner but if you get in right from the start, that corner may be at least 6 months away.

Just keep waiting. That way you will never be disappointed.

FYI - I just spke to my contact at Motorola. She said they were waiting for some guy named Joe to by the "old DROID", then they will release the new one as soon as the 30 exchange/return window is over.

Upvote 0
I thought the rumor was the Shadow would have no keyboard and the Droid 2 would still come with an updated keyboard.

As for all the suggestions, as I said, I do relaize there will always be something better in the works. But since this will be my first smartphone, i'd like to jump in with something new even if it meant waiting just a little while longer to get it. If I knew of a rough timetable, then I would know what to do. For instance, if it's August then I can wait. If it's November (which I read on another website was the rumor), then i'd just get the Droid now on a one year contract. As for getting the Incredible, not a big fan of it really after playing with it and the Droid at a VZW store. I like having a physical keyboard. I don't like Sense. I don't like the fact that when updates are available I still have to wait for HTC to update Sense before it's released. I like the sturdier feel of the Droid. Plus, it's sold out everywhere so i'd have to wait for it anyways. Andif i'm going to wait, i'd rather wait for a Droid 2.

Upvote 0
The info is all here:

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Android

The Droid 2 and Shadow are separate devices. The Shadow is a 4.1" - 4.3" touch screen only device, while the Droid 2 is a refresh of the current Droid design, and will maintain the 3.7" screen and physical keyboard.

There are two Verizon insiders there that have provided the information. I believe they were also the ones who released much of the info regarding the first Droid as well.

Upvote 0
The info is all here:

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Android

The Droid 2 and Shadow are separate devices. The Shadow is a 4.1" - 4.3" touch screen only device, while the Droid 2 is a refresh of the current Droid design, and will maintain the 3.7" screen and physical keyboard.

There are two Verizon insiders there that have provided the information. I believe they were also the ones who released much of the info regarding the first Droid as well.
Very cool, I haven't used HowardForums in a long time, since I was looking at seem editing my KRZR a few years ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones