1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Survey: Does Your Note Play Videos with Dark Scenes Correctly?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dvd7000, Apr 16, 2012.

1. dvd7000

dvd7000 Lurker

Mine was purchased at a local AT&T store in the USA. It is the SGH-I717 and is mfg. in Korea.

I've had it for a little over a week now and when I play Netflix or You Tube (HQ streams) of B&W movies with dark scenes and/or fade ins/outs, the picture becomes pixelated and blocky. As if there was no gray scale, just blotchy blobs. My older Captivate plays these scenes perfectly.

As a new member, I can't post a link to a You Tube video comparison that I made to show the differences between my Samsung Captivate and my Note, but you can find it by searching for: "Samsung Galaxy Note BLACK CRUSH Demo".

I have tried to post about this issue to the AT&T reviews forum several times, but they will not accept the post. I wonder why?..... [NOT]

There is a test pattern out there that you can easily find (again, I can't include a link yet) which has a 22 rectangular block grid of different gray scale gradations, from white to black. Does your Note reproduce this test correctly (a gradual darkening of all the blocks until the numbers from 7 to 0 are difficult to see), or does it look like mine (all the numbers from 21 to 1 are visible, and 0 is completely black.

I LOVE this phone but for this one irritating problem. I truly hope that a fix is forthcoming from Samsung.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Well-Known Member

Yep. The noise/banding in the dark areas is disturbing. Feels like watching videos made in the 2000s yet again.

3. d33th

d33th Newbie

i noticed mine is also pixelated when it comes to black screens on movies.

4. itsrijo

itsrijo Member

Yes my note has the same issue but only for some videos .....

There are tons of threads both here and @ xda regarding this issue, but no solution yet..

Samsung Galaxy Note Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note release date was January 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 2500mAh battery.

January 2012
Release Date
Reviews