1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SVDO, SVLTE. Newer phones that offer?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by gobige, Sep 23, 2014.

1. gobige

gobige Newbie

I've seen that iPhone 6 is the first Spark device that also offers SVLTE, am I correct? Are there any newer Droids that do so?

Would love to upgrade from my S3, but would have to leave the SVDO/SVLTE that I enjoy (and need) for my phone.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Medion

Medion Android Expert

SVDO is rare. It requires two CDMA radios, two amplifiers, and two antennas to use it. Add in the need for LTE and you essentially need 3 of everything, and on top of that, it murders the battery. You know you have SVDO when you can get simultaneous voice/data over 3G (CDMA) without a LTE signal present.

On Verizon, phones that support simultaneous voice and data over LTE are being branded as "Advanced Calling 1.0." If this is what you're looking for, here's the list of their currently compatible phones:

• iPhone 6
    • iPhone 6 Plus
    • Galaxy S5
    • LG G2
    • LG G3 (coming soon)
    • Moto X (2014) (coming soon - fall update confirmed)

More phones will be announced soon (both new and exiting devices).

However, I mistakenly assumed that you were interested in Verizon due to your question about "Droids." I sometimes forget that some people use this term to refer to Android phones in general. If you wish to remain on Sprint, they're rumored to be targeting a mid-2015 start to their Voice over LTE rollout. This will enable simultaneous voice and data on their upcoming LTE devices. I am guessing that any Verizon device supporting it now with a similar model on Sprint would likely get an update to support it. That's not a guarantee though.