• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swapped from Triumph to Evo...weird voicemail issues

mgtsol

May 11, 2010
I bought an Evo 4G V from Best Buy earlier this morning. It's got the Sprint logo on the case and I had a few issues with activation but it's almost running OK now, except for one weird thing.

I don't know if this is standard on these phones but the voicemail seems to be handled by Sprint by default rather than Virgin Mobile, even though the carrier says Virgin Mobile. So you call voicemail (technically you call your own number I think) and it prompts you to set up a new voicemail inbox and go through all the settings, and so on. That's fine, don't mind doing that and I don't really care whether it's Sprint or Virgin that handles my voicemail.

The problem I now have is that having gone though the setup I'm still receiving persistent notifications in the message bar that I have unheard voicemails. I did have unheard voicemails in my Virgin Mobile inbox before I switched, so that's what these notifications are referring to. I can't get rid of this notification because when I contact my voicemail to empty the message queue, I get taken to my new (empty) Sprint voicemail inbox rather than the Virgin Mobile one. I can clear the notification on my Evo via Settings > Call > Clear Voicemail Notification, but it always comes back after a while.

There's clearly a balls-up somewhere along the way. The only fix I can think of - aside from maybe taking the phone back to BB and getting a fresh one - is to switch my phone service BACK to my Triumph, empty and access my Virgin Mobile voicemail inbox, then switch back to the Evo and use my Sprint voicemail.

I'd like to avoid the activation process again if possible because it took a long time and quite a few calls to VM so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Edit: to clarify, I went from Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile to Evo V 4G on Virgin Mobile. Same account, same phone number etc

There's already a big thread on this known issue. You can't go back to your triumph and check voicemail. You have to call Virgin Mobile, stay on hold for 30 minutes until you're elevated to Tech Support. Then spend another 15-20 minutes trying all sorts of different things....and then finally a factory reset. None of which will work. They even say they're resetting the voicemail from their end. But it won't work.

Like others, you'll finally be given a trouble ticket number and someone will properly reset it within the next 24-72 hours.

This is all in the thread. And I just went through it myself today. Just make sure you have at least an hour to spend on the phone.

And I also upgraded from the Triumph to the EVO. Here is the thread:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-v-4g/562180-warning-voicemail-doom.html

Upvote 0
Oh man I wish I'd seen that thread beforehand! I've probably been on the phone with VM for at least two hours in total today, including speaking to tech support (who didn't seem much more knowledgeable than than the frontline support people to be honest). Anyway thanks for providing a link to the thread - I'll have a look at it tonight.

Incidentally, if I were to go back to my Triumph would I be able to switch back easily enough considering it's no longer stock but is rooted CM7?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones