1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Swapping Data Plans

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheWenger, Dec 22, 2011.

1. TheWenger

TheWenger Member

This might not be a Nexus specific question, but it does pertain to Verizon.

I just jumped from Sprint to Verizon and got on my parents family plan to get the Nexus. They both have unlimited data grandfathered in. I signed up for the 4GB of course. Both my parents combined use maybe half a gigabyte of data a month, while I know that I could use tons if I wanted (streaming pandora, google music, etc.).

I assume if you go to the store and try to switch then they will tell you it can't be done. But I thought of an idea and wanted to see if anyone else thinks it might work.

If I swap sim cards with one of them, then try to swap the numbers associated with the sim cards, would that give me the unlimited data? It makes sense in my head, just wanted to see how practical it is.

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. byrds8

byrds8 Well-Known Member

The numbers themselves are what have the unlimited data. So the line on the plan has the feature so the only way for you to take advantage of the unlimited data is if you swap one of the numbers with one of your parents.

Of course VZW is suppose to be adding family shared data as well so maybe you can see how that plays out with those grandfathered to unlimited data. Maybe people grandfathered will get lucky and it will turn into the whole plan lol.

alostpacket likes this.
  3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

@OP
    I dont think that would work - plus I'd think VZW would be none too happy about it.

'tis not all bad news though -- VZW supposedly has family data plans coming soon -- maybe in the early winter/spring (not really sure of the date). So you could all share 10GB or something.

This would be a nice way to save a bit I think.

But yeah trying to get into a grandfathered plan is (IMHO) unlikely to work.

4. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Android Expert

Call verizon and ask for moblie hotspot. It will put you into unlimited data and then cancel mobile hotspot.

Might take a couple calls but it works and is worth it.

5. soy.lor.n

soy.lor.n Well-Known Member

Just want to cosign that this definitely works and is super easy. I did it on Friday and the first girl I talked to switched me to unlimited with no problems. I haven't cancelled the hotspot yet, but I don't anticipate any troubles if I do.

Tell them that you want the "$30 4G mobile hotspot" or otherwise they might try to put you on the $20 2GB hotspot which is not what you want. DO NOT use the word "unlimited" because that might scare your CSR :p

This will switch you to the $29.99 unlimited data plan, and will additionally add a $30 hotspot, which you can then cancel online without altering your data plan.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews