1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Swapping the Menu and Back keys

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whoshotjr2006, Oct 2, 2014.

1. whoshotjr2006

whoshotjr2006 Android Enthusiast

Coming from the Galaxy Nexus with configurable softkeys, I got pretty used to the menu key on the left, home in the middle and back on the right. I'm right handed and don't like to use 2 hands just to control my phone, and since the back key is my most used key, I like it in easy reach.

PREREQUISITES- must be rooted, doesn't matter if your on zv3 or zv4, and must be able to use a root browser/adb and read basic directions easily. I am not responsible if your phone stops working, your boss fires you, or gluten makes your manhood shoot off your body in a spectacular manor.

With that said, to swap those two keys, fire up a root browser, I prefer Root Browser from jrummy, navigate to /system/usr/keylayout and open up your gpio-keys.kl file with your file editor of choice.

This is what you will see, after a long Linux foundation disclaimer. This is what we want to mess with.

Key 158 that says BACK, change that to say MENU like key 139 does. And Key 139 that says MENU, change it to say BACK like key 158 does. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

This is what it should look like when you are done.

Save the file, and reboot your device. When it reboots, your menu key should be on the left, home in the middle, and back on the right. The icons of course wont change, but I just shut off key lights under Settings>Display>Front touch key light and don't even notice or care anymore.

Hope this helps.

attached is a clean copy of gpio-keys.kl to use to restore with adb if needed. To revert, just do the opposite of above, and change MENU and BACK to what they were before, or if for some reason you cant use the keys anymore (shouldnt have that problem but anything can happen) use adb like this:

and your phone should be fixed.

(gpio-keys.kl inside of zip, since uploader doesnt like .kl extension)

If this has been covered before, please lemme know and I'll ask a mod to take this post down.

Attached Files:

thejoker954 and donjuro like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Android Expert

Thanks man this can definitely make the phone more userfriendly. I am used to the samsung layout which was back on the right and home on the left and the phone kept disagreeing with my desired input.
    But i am just getting used to it. Lol thanks again for the find.

3. lxebell

lxebell Member

Does anyone who how to disabled the keys... Like if I wanna just use software keys instead

4. whoshotjr2006

I would imagine you could comment out the back and menu key lines in the file, but don't quote me on that. And the obligatory yadda yadda risk yadda your milage may vary lol.

If anything goes wrong you should be able to use adb to push a clean copy of gpio-keys, or boot into cwm and restore if you didn't restore your laf partition, or use lg download mode to restore if you did. Not too much risk invovled.

5. ffseto

ffseto Lurker

I just couldn't resist :)

Commenting out the following keys disabled the menu and back buttons but didn't give me the on screen keys.

key158BACKVIRTUAL
    key172HOMEVIRTUAL
    key139MENUVIRTUAL

BTW thanks for posting this tutorial. The placement of the back\menu buttons was one of my only issues with this phone.

whoshotjr2006 likes this.
  6. whoshotjr2006

I think gravity box will let you have on screen keys, might be something to look into.

7. lxebell

lxebell Member

how would i comment out the lines...just like delete them?

8. aguba

aguba Well-Known Member

For software keys, stick this line into your build.prop:
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

Screenshots

ffseto and whoshotjr2006 like this.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews