• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swearing in the forums

Are you offended by the use of swear words on AF?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 90 88.2%

• Total voters

gvillager

Android Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2010
NYC
I swear all the time when I am around people that I know are not offended. However, out of respect of others I refrain from swearing in the presence of people I don't know very well or in public forums. The results of a simple search of the "F" and "S" words reveal that this is tolerated here on Android Forums unlike the other forums I frequent.

So I thought I'd create a poll...

I voted "no" because the question uses the word, "offended."

I don't feel "offended" by seeing or hearing cussing in forums or in person, but I do feel that the person using that language is immature and/or selfish, which we all are on occasion; it is the habitual cussers, those who live by foul language, who I try to avoid.

Forums are interesting in that we can "plug our ears" so to speak by merely scrolling past a post at the instant we detect those words and move on to posts which do not contain them.

Another interesting aspect of this subject is that swearing as a form of expression is probably the least effective in communicating one's thoughts on the subject at hand, while it succeeds in only communicating ones lack of command of the English language and/or willingness to intrude on the sensibilities of those to whom they're exposing their crass, vulgar mindset.

Reactions: Roze
Upvote 0
I don't feel "offended" by seeing or hearing cussing in forums or in person, but I do feel that the person using that language is immature and/or selfish, which we all are on occasion; it is the habitual cussers, those who live by foul language, who I try to avoid.

I'd like to know how cursing indicates selfishness.

Another interesting aspect of this subject is that swearing as a form of expression is probably the least effective in communicating one's thoughts on the subject at hand, while it succeeds in only communicating ones lack of command of the English language and/or willingness to intrude on the sensibilities of those they're exposing to their crass words.

So much for command of English, eh?

I'd like to hope most people aren't such delicate flowers that exposure to profanities will make them wilt and melt. English profanities are fairly limited as it is: they're commonplace, banal, nothing special. I'm surprised they still have the power to make anyone wring hands, clutch pearls, and reach for smelling salts. I'm more offended by dumb****s throwing around "gay" as an insult (and yes, that happens a lot: no surprise, given that the geek/tech community is a veritable hub of cisgendered straight male privilege), personally, what with "****" and "shit" and the like not being slurs directed at a minority with a history of systematic oppression behind them.

Upvote 0
I'd like to know how cursing indicates selfishness.

Selfish people care only about themselves, generally, in favor of the sensibilities of others.

It appears you need to do it, to cuss, so what do you think I am going to do, prevent you from doing that here? I mentioned scrolling past those posts which contain the sewage; it's easy.

So much for command of English, eh?

I inadvertently left the possessive apostrophe off the the term, "one's selfishness." Good eye ;), but an exercise in silliness on your part.

I'd like to hope most people aren't such delicate flowers that exposure to profanities will make them wilt and melt. ..blah..

You seem to need to put forth an argument in favor of swearing, in response to my posted opinions about it; I find that strange. I'm appreciative of arguments in favor of or against this or that issue, but having to do with foul language?

Also, attempting to degrade one's credibility during that argument, credibility with the English language, over an overlooked apostrophe, seems cute but counter to dialog; we all misspell, miss-punctuate, scramble terminology and swear from time to time; but to do any of that habitually, with no desire to correct oneself, displays something leaning in the opposite direction of civility and decorum, two things which even a forum cluster such as this one benefits from greatly.

Indeed, the user guidelines, under the emboldened heading, "Strong Language," at http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html, go into this subject in a bit of detail as well as the overall civility issue.

Reactions: Intervenient
Upvote 0
I think in person it's one thing. But, in a forum I think it's uncalled for every time. No, I'm not offended by it. I just do not see the point in a forum.

But, to the poll -- no I'm not offended.

+1

Those are my sentiments, generally (although the "in person" swearing tolerance is highly dependent on the social setting; where is it happening and amongst whom? That is where selfishness comes in to play, imo).

There are some pretty free-wheeling forums out there for those who need to vent with those words or just use them for the fun of it, but this one is a bit different than those, with a bit of tolerance but with, as the guidelines tell us, limits.

Upvote 0
The "just words" hideout could be used for anything said by anybody anywhere at any time; not a good thing, so it's best to move away from that place and move on to what the opinions and issues are.

But I could mean many things with many different words that can be considered much more offensive than what we call "swear words", no?

It's not the words, it's how they are used.

Upvote 0
It doesn't offend me and I don't care if it does. I limit because I try to use it only to exaggerate or prove a point. Or maybe both.

But to me they're just words. People say things to me, I say things to them. There's no need to sugarcoat things because our obese society would eat that too.

I have an issue with the c-word (which is "*"ed out here) and why people see it ok to call someone a dick, prick, or a-hole, but not ****. And "ghey" and "phag" taken out as well?

People need to lighten up.

Upvote 0
Indeed, the user guidelines, under the emboldened heading, "Strong Language," at http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html, go into this subject in a bit of detail as well as the overall civility issue.

That's basically what it comes down to.... respect. The odd cuss word can be justified by circumstance or context, but when a post is simply a wall of swear words it shows a lack of respect for those who might be reading the threads. The mods get daily complaints about language used in posts.... and just as many complaints about removing it when it's deemed necessary. Maybe that suggests the balance is about right? We can but try to keep everybody happy(ish).

As one member commented after receiving an infraction for addressing another member in a particularly vile manner, "wow, this forum is unlike any other out there". Darn right it is, and we're proud of the fact!

Reactions: Guitardoc64
Upvote 0
With the internet, movies, and lax cable (have you SEEN a South Park episode?!) most kids and adults are constantly exposed to swearing. Middle schoolers swear. Most people swear. By censoring it, AF isn't trying protecting anyone. The kids that would need to be protected most likely swear already.

AF does it to protect themselves - their site attendance, their credibility, and for legal reasons I'm sure. Nothing wrong with that. A smart and necessary move by Rob.

So yes most people aren't offended by swearing. Lots of us swear every day.

It's not a matter of 'keeping it family oriented' and 'protecting the kids' like some people would like to think. It's a business move. And a very smart one at that. That's why swearing will never be accepted in AF.

Class is dismissed.

Upvote 0
I believe it was Lewis Black that basically rejected the characterization of certain words as "bad" words, and I agree with him. Paraphrasing, words like "f@#%" and "s%#&" are not "bad," they are terms that are used by adults to express frustration, anger, surprise, happiness, or whatever other emotion you'd like to convey. There are few words in the English language more versatile than the F word, and properly used, it can be an extremely effective way of communicating a point.

That doesn't mean I think we all ought to go around swearing like sailors because, you know, time and place, but I don't have any problem with swearing in the abstract at all. People use these words out of laziness or ignorance at times, and I'm not supporting that, but a well-placed "mother f***er" can really drive something home. As long as everyone's on the same page and no one is directing it AT another person, I'm all for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones