• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sweeter Home 2 beta

Oh yeah I drank the coolaide too. It was a little bitter at first, but SHb2 is pretty sweet after all. I've downloaded some good themes and I'm working on finishing my own. Yes it takes some work, but I haven't ever come across anything that's so customizable:) Joe's theme looked sweet. I just need to get some more large icons and I'll be posting mine too.

Upvote 0
For those having issues with Force Closes, perhaps this advice will help. Before I begin editing, I use Advanced Task Killer and kill all apps but Sweeter Home. This seems to get rid of most FCs. Also, backup your theme OFTEN. You don't want to risk losing any of your work, do you? Menu button > Edit Theme > Menu button > Upload/Export > Change to first parameter to SD Card, then fill in the rest.

Oh yeah I drank the coolaide too. It was a little bitter at first, but SHb2 is pretty sweet after all.

Thanks for the kind words. I've considered my theme "complete" now about 5 times already. But I keep tweaking and adding. You should see my CarDock screen now ... it is stupid sick. I'll post pics soon.

Upvote 0
Try doing this with any other home-replacement app... :D

Getting pretty close to the way I like it. No purty colors ... just function. ;)

DROID_01232010.jpg

What theme is this? How did you get the weather up top like that? What widget shows the colored bars for music alarm and such?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
What theme is this? How did you get the weather up top like that? What widget shows the colored bars for music alarm and such?

Thanks!

I call that theme "Joe_Droid". :cool: Unfortunately, it's not a shared them.

The weather widget is just "Beautiful Widgets" That one is the small version. The colored bars widget is called "AudioManager Widget".

Upvote 0
The Wallpaper: Did you set up the wallpaper while switching between landscape mode and regular? If you did, try to set it up regularly without switching to landscape...You have the option to create a different screen just by putting into landscape mode. (e.g. you can set up a home screen the regular way (vertically) and then turn your phone to landscape and set up a whole different homescreen, so that everytime you go to landscape or regular you get two different screens.)
No I was strictly using portrait. I won't edit my landscape mode until portrait is done. Which is taking forever b/c of crashes. But it mostly seems to crash only when I'm editing.

Swiping to another page on a Widget: This probably due to the Layers of the homescreen. As of now, it is not allowed to switch screens if swiped on a widget, you need atleast a little space. I have already gotten used to it, but maybe they will change it for the Market version.
Yeah I thought maybe if I made it layer 1 it would let me swipe, but that didn't work. The spring boards make it so I can have open space so I'll just have to adjust I think. But being able to swipe where you have apps that don't scroll maybe a customtray that doesn't have the ability to scroll? I wish you could just drag a widget or app shortcut onto the screen, that part seems overly tedious. I figured out today you can hit the back button from a screen and go back to the middle one so that's good.

As for the crashing... I dunno about Joe, but I had to clear my native screen of all widgets, install SH2, restart, and then spent a ton of time figuring out and building my theme. I had had your problem, it was due to low internal memory, after I cleared everything and did the restart though..it was golden... I still get a FC every now and then, but the more I tweak with it, and learn from my mistakes, the better its getting. The only persisting problem is 'Custom Trays', they havent worked for more than a few minutes before a bitmap error comes up...never had a problem with Tagged trays or springboards.

I think most of my FC and errors, bitmap errors happens when I'm editing in and out. Although I haven't used it much other than editing, because I haven't quite got the setup usable yet. So I don't know how daily function will go. I crash a lot, It took me all day to get where I am now. I'll upload pics here.

Home, Right, Up (left and down are blank right now. Right isn't complete.)
screensm.jpg

The springboards on the homescreen.
springboards.jpg

Upvote 0
I downloaded SHP2 yesterday and after all day of customizing it force closed and i ended up uninstalling it after 10 times my phone restarting.. :( I really loved that theme..

And are you all reporting these bugs to the developer? Please don't just uninstall. Remember the product is in beta which means bugs should be expected but the dev needs to know what you are experiencing.

Upvote 0
Well Joe, I took your advice. After getting Bugless V0.8.2 up and running, I went back to sweeter home and the theme I've been working on based on SmallCaps and I "finished" it up tonight. With Sweeter Home, things are never "finished" but I'm so loving it. That rom makes all the difference. No lag, nothing. Will take some screen shots tomorrow and put them out here.

Upvote 0
OK, I completley uninstalled beta 1 and installed beta 2. I then installed my theme, had to reload all widgets and shortcuts. Everything is running good now!

I was going to ask you if you do an uninstall of beta 1 ... that's what I did. Edited is still a bit finicky, but once it's up and running, I LOVE IT!

Upvote 0
Please write up a HOW TO in this thread. Do I need to root my phone? Is this an app? And what is the name of that widget that copys the HTC Droid.. the clock/weather one.

No root needed (umm ... I don't think. :thinking: ) I'll let you know.
SDK is software you install on your PC.
I use Beautiful Widgets for my time/weather app. Some use Weather Donate, I think it's called.

Upvote 0
Here are mine. Really loving this!

Attachments

• tn_screen_1.jpg
    tn_screen_1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 89
  • tn_screen_2.jpg
    tn_screen_2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 75
  • tn_screen_3.jpg
    tn_screen_3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 70
  • tn_screen_4.jpg
    tn_screen_4.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 69
  • tn_screen_5.jpg
    tn_screen_5.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 62
  • tn_screen_6.jpg
    tn_screen_6.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 62
  • tn_screen_7.jpg
    tn_screen_7.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_screen_8.jpg
    tn_screen_8.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones