• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SwiftKey Beta update is up

uploadfromtaptalk1398882695104.jpg

Upvote 0
I thought I'd like the split layout but it just doesn't feel right. I mainly use my tab in portrait anyway though.
Anyone know where I can find a changelog for this beta? And is emoji prediction in the suggestion boxes new?
The SwiftKey forum is pretty good, I've always had fast responses from the staff.
What I really want is to be able to customise the "punctuation slider" (when you long press the enter key) but they didn't seem too keen on that idea for some reason :(
How does floating keyboard work mate? Don't think I've noticed that..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398896394424.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398896394424.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0
Lol hiredgun 🔫 can the you guys see the Google emoji on here? (I use the AF app and I can see them on that) 😸😞👍☺😼🐙🐑🐝🍴🐭🐴💨✌🍻😯💕🐒😜🐩🐕
Yeah true Clementine :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Lol hiredgun 🔫 can the you guys see the Google emoji on here? (I use the AF app and I can see them on that) 😸😞👍☺😼🐙🐑🐝🍴🐭🐴💨✌🍻😯💕🐒😜🐩🐕
Yeah true Clementine :thumbup:

Yep shows up in tapatalk and chrome 👍

Upvote 0
I thought I'd like the split layout but it just doesn't feel right. I mainly use my tab in portrait anyway though.
Anyone know where I can find a changelog for this beta? And is emoji prediction in the suggestion boxes new?
The SwiftKey forum is pretty good, I've always had fast responses from the staff.
What I really want is to be able to customise the "punctuation slider" (when you long press the enter key) but they didn't seem too keen on that idea for some reason :(
How does floating keyboard work mate? Don't think I've noticed that..

I have a Galaxy S3 phone. I find the portrait keyboard to be too narrow. The landscape keyboard allows for wider keys. However, with a 4.8" phone, it is difficult to reach the centre of the keyboard. That is why I like the landscape 13-key split layout of Kii. The letter keys are closer to the sides, so I don't have to reach into the middle when typing letters like G and H.

The Swiftkey split layout does split the keyboard, but for whatever reason, I make more errors. I tend to hit the space bar or shift key a lot by mistake. It also doesn't split the keyboard enough for me as the middle just has one column of arrow keys. The Kii layout has a numeric keypad in the middle.

I tried the floating keyboard. It splits the keys into two halves of the keyboard that you can reposition on the screen. The intent of the split keyboard is for tablets. Tablet screens are really wide, so it is hard to thumb type if the keys are split. You can move the two halves close to the sides to make it easier to type.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
No, that was on (at least) the last version. It's fun, I like it but it does cut down on actual word suggestions.

Which is actually what sets Swift Key apart from all the rest that I have tried so far. I have found that it has THE best prediction around and does actually learn the way that you "write" and the words that you use as they claim it will.

Upvote 0
Which is actually what sets Swift Key apart from all the rest that I have tried so far. I have found that it has THE best prediction around and does actually learn the way that you "write" and the words that you use as they claim it will.

It doesn't do too much harm in my opinion, considering that the suggested emoji corresponds to the primary suggested word anyway. Type 'time' and it will suggest the wristwatch emoji (which it also apparently does for the word wristwatch lol).

Upvote 0
It doesn't do too much harm in my opinion, considering that the suggested emoji corresponds to the primary suggested word anyway. Type 'time' and it will suggest the wristwatch emoji (which it also apparently does for the word wristwatch lol).

If that worked pretty much all the time I think it would be very impressive indeed!! No wonder Funky is running wild in this thread. They are going to have to invent a new word for this kind of prediction!! How about "Swift Key now with equipped with the latest revolutionary EMOJI-OLOGY around!" Lol!

Upvote 0
If that worked pretty much all the time I think it would be very impressive indeed!! No wonder Funky is running wild in this thread. They are going to have to invent a new word for this kind of prediction!! How about "Swift Key now with equipped with the latest revolutionary EMOJI-OLOGY around!" Lol!

I have an inkling that it may be the reason why it is still in beta, this emoji-prediction thing. Funnily enough, 'emoji-predictions' was a suggested word for me just now. A feedback I'd give on this is to expand suggestions from three to four words on bigger phones/tablets.

Upvote 0
I have an inkling that it may be the reason why it is still in beta, this emoji-prediction thing. Funnily enough, 'emoji-predictions' was a suggested word for me just now. A feedback I'd give on this is to expand suggestions from three to four words on bigger phones/tablets.

Sounds like it is coming along pretty darn well already from what you are saying. I'd say that in general Swype is a more recognized "name," but I really think Swift Key is becoming far more advanced and proficient!!!!

Upvote 0
Sounds like it is coming along pretty darn well already from what you are saying. I'd say that in general Swype is a more recognized "name," but I really think Swift Key is becoming far more advanced and proficient!!!!

There are two points where for me Swype wins over Swiftkey:

1. Continuous swipe/flow typing. With Swipe you can change the case of the letters as you swipe.

2. Swipe to enter symbols. No more longpress.

Everything else though, scores for Swiftkey. However those two features are pretty big. I hope that SK at least adds the swipe for symbols. Even Kii has that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones