1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SwiftKey X free on Amazon today!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ahoogst, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ahoogst

ahoogst Well-Known Member

Grab it while you can!

On a side note, for anyone who was using the beta of X did you find that the predictions got worse over time compared to the original?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. robrecht

robrecht Android Enthusiast

Highly recommend it! The AI predictive capability is so much better than anything else I've used. Can oftentimes type with only one or two clicks per word.

But note that the word predictions are currently disabled for the HTC email app on the ThunderBolt. This was a quick fix for the predicted words blocking the text box in landscape mode on some screens. They are now aware of the problem and actually received a ThunderBolt today to test on (they are in England). I think the fix should be very easy because the predicted words are no longer blocking the text box when typing in the Subject line of emails in landscape mode.

In the meantime, the predictive capability still works great in Gmail, TouchDown (for MS Exchange), the Comcast Xfinity app, etc.

3. jmz768

jmz768 Android Enthusiast

Just installed it and loving it so far.

4. mutts

mutts Newbie

Figures, I just paid for it last week :mad:

One thing I find annoying that maybe somebody can help with.

When I'm typing say in a text message I have a nice big space bar, but if I type a URL in a browser the space bar is cut in half with a ".com" button taking up the other half. Similarly, in an email the right half of the space bar is a "@..." button.

I'm constantly hitting the wrong button when I try to put a space in, does anyone know how to keep that "convenience" from happening?

Other than that, love it.

5. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Been using it for awhile now on gosms and gmail and works great! I highly recommend it :)
    Bryan :)

6. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

just downloaded it. i never really liked the predictive text. it worked but i found myself typing out the letters anyway. so i just turned it off and am using the auto correct and i can FLY through forum posts with this keyboard :) and the new themes are sweet as well. loving it.

7. jennay22

jennay22 Well-Known Member

Cool thanks! Can't wait to try it out! I'm so bad about checking out the App store everyday. I've missed out on some good free apps :(

8. ggangi

ggangi Well-Known Member

Is it a swype type keyboard?

9. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Well-Known Member

Well this should help :)

Amazon app store sends out a tweet everyday with the name and link to the free app so this could help as a reminder :)
    Here's the Twitter link :

http://mobile.twitter.com/amazonappstore

Thanks,
    Bryan

10. irochos101

irochos101 Newbie

Anyone have troubles downloading the English language file? I keep getting a failed notification after installing the app and trying to dl the language pack

11. robrecht

The email spacebar issue is directly related to the problem I mentioned above. When they reassign the predictive keyboard (instead of the email address keyboard) to the message body that will be fixed--soon I hope.

12. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast

I did too - I kept trying and eventually it went through. I am guessing that there are a LOT of people taxing their servers right now.

13. nkk

nkk Android Expert

I somehow got it on the Android market (I had the beta and then next thing I knew it was out of beta and I had a license for the paid phone version).

Anyway, this is one of the more useful apps amazon has put out. Right up there with the regular swiftkey (that was one of the first) and Business calendar. Nice to see a non-game useful app.

-Nkk

14. brizey

brizey Android Enthusiast

No, it is an advanced predictive text keyboard. It actually will start to predict the next word as you type.

There is a long standing argument of swiftkey vs. swype. I like swype personally, but I went ahead and snagged this just because it was free.

15. 3ricG

3ricG Well-Known Member

It says that they can capture everything I type. How can I be sure they arent doing this? Also, will this fix the keyboard lag that happens on the default keyboard?

16. Arsonman

Arsonman Well-Known Member

I did until I hooked up to wifi and then it downloaded.

17. evereddie

evereddie Lurker

At least on my Thunderbolt when using email ap you don't get the predictive words. So what good is it. And I paid for it. Just keep getting screwed since I got into a smart phone. Got my phone to specifically Skype with my daughter in Japan and even though we were promised Skype on Thundercrap it is NOT.
    I'm just so done with getting taken for a fool.

18. robrecht

I tried to warn you above:
    Skype was part of the premarketing materials until about a month before launch when it was removed and it was announced that the phone would not come with Skype. For a while you could get a leaked version to work on the stock ROM. You can still get it to work on custom ROMs if it is that important to you.

19. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Android Enthusiast

May sound dumb, but what is the difference between space bar doing predictions vs doing completion of the word?

20. ahoogst

ahoogst Well-Known Member

Completion is for the word you're currently typing, whereas the predictions is the next word that swiftkey is predicting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

21. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

Has anyone successfully figured out how to turn haptic feedback off on this keyboard? I know there was an option on the regular SwiftKey, but I can't seem to find it in the X settings.

22. robrecht

Settings, Advanced, Keyboard feedback.

WormDoes likes this.
  23. thorthunderblt

thorthunderblt Android Enthusiast

Has any had trouble with finding the Amazon app store on the updated market? For some reason all i can find is the regular amazon app for the online store and the amazon mp3 app, but no Amazon app market.

24. Papadroid

Papadroid Android Expert

You can not get the amazon app store application from the market. You have to get it from the web on your phone.

thorthunderblt likes this.
  25. thorthunderblt

thorthunderblt Android Enthusiast

Oh okay thanks for that.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews