1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Swiftkey X

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by doxiemomma87, Jul 27, 2011.

1. doxiemomma87

doxiemomma87 Guest
    None
    So I decided to get Swiftkey x on my samsung exhibit. It seems to have rave reviews and all that so thought I'd give it a try. But why does it need access to all my passwords and credit card information and such? Am I the only one alarmed by this? It absolutely bothers me.:eek:

Advertisement

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    You will get this same warning for any keyboard.

Since the keyboard handles all text you input on your phone, it theoretically could save everything you are typing into your phone.

The warning:

1) Does NOT mean the keyboard has access to any existing information in your phone.
    2) DOES mean that anything you type on the keyboard is "seen" by the keyboard. (Duh.)

SwiftKey has a good reputation. I use it without worry. Also, check the other permissions needed for the keyboard application.

Just to be safe, I also use Droid Wall to limit which apps can get to the internet.

pwalt likes this.
  3. doxiemomma87

doxiemomma87 Guest
    None
    Well thank you very much for "Duh'ing" me.

4. pwalt

pwalt Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I just successfully paid for and downloaded Swiftkey Tablet X yesterday. This is the second keyboard app I have downloaded (Swype was the first) and both had the same permissions ... for the same reasons amlothi mentioned. I had issues originally with the purchase, but I blame my prepaid credit card for not authorizing the international purchase ... it worked after using my standard debit card.

Swiftkey has awesome predictive text (it's almost insane), but there is no predictive text provided in password fields and my passwords have never come up as a possible predicted words when typing elsewhere. I do not believe they are gathering, and storing, this information anywhere.

Buy it ... you'll like it!

5. KendallParis

KendallParis Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    Unless you somehow removed the original keyboard that came with your device, you could just always switch between the keyboards when it's time to input your credit card numbers and passwords for anything else.

I'm not suggesting that SwiftKey or any other extra keyboard are a security risk, but nothing beats peace of mind.

6. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Haha, it wasn't directed at you. Don't take offense. I just thought my second point was stating the rather obvious so I was thinking "Duh" to myself after I finished typing that sentence.

The error message can be disconcerting the first time you see it. I'm glad it's there, as it's a good reminder to be aware of what permissions apps have - especially apps used for input.

KP's suggestion is a good one as well.

7. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal