• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
You are most likely running the Google Now Launcher, or perhaps Motorola has imitated that behavior in their launcher. I'm not sure if you can turn that feature off, but you can switch to a launcher that doesn't behave that way.

Running apps? I wouldn't worry about it. Android does a fantastic job of managing the resources on your phone for you. If you start looking at things that are listed as running, you'll drive yourself crazy and we'll have to talk you down from the edge of installing a task manager. ;)

Upvote 0
1) From the main screen if I swipe left (move the screen to the right) I get a Google style news page. Did I set this someplace by mistake or is that normal?

2) How can I find if any apps are running?

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

1) I can see the same thing on a Moto E4. It's the same as if you went into your Apps menu and started the Google app.
You can turn that off by going into the Settings menu of the Google app, scroll down to 'Discover' and disable it. At that point if you swipe left from the Home page or launch the Google app it'll be just a plain Google search page without all the news articles and fluff.

2) As already stated, don't worry about it. Just let Android's memory management handle things for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones