1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Swipe typing

Discussion in 'Google' started by jajrussel, May 22, 2016.

1. jajrussel

jajrussel Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2014
    Male
    Delaware
    Has anyone else noticed that often when swipe typing the word thrown in is in a sense a brand name, a product, or perhaps a person of interest.

I don't remember all cases, it happens way to often, a word that makes no sense, does not fit the context, sometimes not even starting with the right letter gets thrown in a sentence causing me to loose my train of thought in the correction.

I remember when I first discovered swipe typing every time I typed the word (and) let alone swiping it the word (Android) would pop in. Which was really, really annoying. I am assuming it was someone's way of bringing Android to our attention. Thankfully they fixed it.

Subliminal advertising?

The latest was the word allergies. Every swipe produced Allegra. Over and over again. I ended up trying the mike. Same result. Why? Do they sound the same?

Finally I found an article that had the word allergies in it then copied, and pasted. Problem solved, but now where was I?

Oh, yeah. Now I can swype the word allergies with no problem.

Have advertisers discovered that they can use my keyboard to promote their products?

Note, allergies wasn't even listed as a suggestion.

Again it happened. Cold came out coke on first try, cod on second try, but at least this time cold was one of the suggested words. The subject was the weather. I suppose with a little imagination I could fit either word in a subject dealing with the weather.

Advertisement

#1 jajrussel, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    I doubt it's sponsored, probably more from an algorithm that tracks commonly typed words.

3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I use Swype keyboard board, but just switched to Google to see if I could reproduce your results. I could not reproduce any of those particular substitutions.

If Google suggests a word that you never use, you can easily get rid of it forever: Long press on the unwanted suggestion and drag it up to trash icon.. It will never appear again

#3 electricpete, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Lordvincent 90 likes this.
  4. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2018
    Male
    Occupation documation, something..
    Urbana Illinois, middle of funsville
    Either or, i type or swipe up the words, but hate auto correct, because it swoped up my worm.