• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swipepad Alternatives

So I recently upgraded to a new android phone (galaxy s2, damn is it fine)
and have done some looking into what apps i need to really get the full smart phone experience.

Everyone has mentioned Swipepad as an app that is really good, however i am very uncomfortable allowing it access to

Services that cost you Money
Directly calling numbers

why does this app need this permission? looking in the app store a few of the other swipe apps also need it. is this regular?

looking through the comments, no one is upset that they have this ability? what a crock! could you suggest any use improving apps that dont require an arm and a leg for access?

thanks in advance :cool:

thank you for the clarification, but thats still not good. or perhaps i shall say, i dont see why it has to have this sort of thing allowed (quite annoying actually, lots of cool stuff seems to want my phone contact list, bugger off!)

i looked through the 'best of x' app sticky but didnt really know what this sort of app would fall under. ease of use?

would love any suggested alternatives! (thanks for the response)

Upvote 0
thank you for the clarification, but thats still not good. or perhaps i shall say, i dont see why it has to have this sort of thing allowed (quite annoying actually, lots of cool stuff seems to want my phone contact list, bugger off!)

i looked through the 'best of x' app sticky but didnt really know what this sort of app would fall under. ease of use?

would love any suggested alternatives! (thanks for the response)

Swipad is probably the most used app in my phone. Really love it .
never had an issue with phone bills :rolleyes:

The alternatives i have tried are - taskchanger pro and smart switcher

The main reason why i like swipepad is that it works very reliably and never had any crashes.

Upvote 0
Greetings 80,

Welcome to the forums.

It's good to see that you are paying attention to what you install. A little vigilance goes a long way. That being said, You have to look at the app your installing, to judge if it's asking way more than necessary.

Swipepad and other apps of this sort, request these permissions because it's capable of having any type of shortcut in place.

For instance..

1. Services that cost you money. This can refer to texts and sms themselves. The app needs the permissions to access these functions.

2. Direct calling. You can place a shortcut for your phone dialer in it. Again the app need access to this function.

A flashlight app does not need to be able to use gps location or access your contacts.

Remember, it's all in context.

In answer to your other question. I just started using wave launcher. It takes a little getting used to, but it's growing on me.

Smart taskbar is another app I used, but it is more of an app drawer replacement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones