• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switch between tablet version and phone version of an app???

mattstud36

Jun 17, 2010
Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, and by default it runs your apps in tablet mode. This works great for everything other than Google Hangouts because you lose the ability to toggle between SMS and Hangouts in an active conversation. Is there any way to configure my device to run only Google Hangouts in phone mode?

You are correct that it will not let you mix the conversations in one thread, but it will let you toggle them by touching the persons name at the top... It worked on my old phone (Note 2).

In place of the persons name in a conversation now I just see the word "Hangouts". I attached a screenshot to show what I mean.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-30-18-21-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-30-18-21-58.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0
I see what you mean. I'm sure you checked this already, but is Hangouts set as your default messaging app?

At the time it was. I ended up going back to the original messaging app because I couldn't switch between the two conversation types. In addition, I'm not even able to see who I'm talking to because it says "Hangouts" where their name should be.

Upvote 0
I think the fact that it says "Hangouts" is part of how the app functions. Mine does the same thing when I checked it on my Nexus 7.

RyanB, correct, that is how it functions on the tablet. It's not how it functions on the phone, though. The Galaxy Mega runs all of the "tablet" versions of the apps by default. I'm basically just looking to make it run the phone version of Hangouts while leaving everything else the same.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones