1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Switch from white backgound to black background?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by keg44, Oct 10, 2017.

1. keg44

keg44 Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2017
    Is there a way to switch from white background with black lettering to black background with white lettering? I found the negative mode will do this but all the images are switched to negative. Is there some reason for this mode? is there a way around it so the images are viewable?

Advertisement

marctronixx likes this.
  2. Redeye

Redeye Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    The reason for this mode, set using Settings -> Accessibility, is for people with certain vision problems. The added contrast makes the screen much easier to read for many people. I am not sure how this can be applied selectively so that images are not reversed. Certain themes are inverted for the same reason but would only affect home, lock and app screens. If this is what you want, i.e. not inverted inside most apps, use one of these themes/wallpapers instead of the Accessibility function. Android makes our look and feel very customizeable.

Good luck,

Redeye

marctronixx and kokiangel like this.
  3. kokiangel

kokiangel Android Expert

Nov 12, 2009
    Female
    Banker
    Helena, Alabama
    Agreed. It's why I use a 3rd party email client for example. The black background is more restful on my eyes as well as making the text easier for me to read. no need to make my whole phone ugly.

4. keg44

keg44 Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2017
    I prefer the black background, much easier to see. Its unfortunate this phone does not have that capability.

marctronixx likes this.
  5. TrueFangz

TrueFangz Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Male
    USA
    Where exactly do you want this~ any specific apps, or across the whole phone? Take a look at some themes in the Samsung store and see what you think. Also, there are a handful of options in the play store for individual apps, such as email clients, web browsers, texting, etc. I'm sure many have theme options to achieve a darker look.

marctronixx likes this.
  6. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    the screen is Super AMOLED, and by design when you see black, the pixels are , in effect, turned off, which is why the blacks are sooooo , well. black! :)

if you were to have the main screens always black with white words, you would begin to see image retention or "burn in" since he white letters have activated pixels whereas the black backrolling has those pixels turned off.

this is also the reason samsung didn't natively allow the black navigation bar at the bottom.

i like the same backgrounds as you! I have nova prime and the app drawer id all black (so is the navigation bar), so I kinda have my wish to have the same setup that you are looking for.

7. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert

Mar 9, 2012
    Just go with a dark theme and set Nova launcher to use the system theme. It works. I have a dark purple theme and it works great. All other apps I turn on the dark option (if possible). I cannot use bright backgrounds as it really bothers my eyes. Especially in daylight and the system cranks the brightness fulll tilt. I have to dial down.

8. keg44

keg44 Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2017
    just got the phone so still learning, my nokia would switch from one to the other easily. For me I prefer the black background, so much easier for me to see it. Also it seems it would use less battery with a dark screen. I ill try some of the suggestions, thanks Why couldn't they have used the extra button for the camera instead of Bixby, more useful for taking pixs with one hand, Bixby could have been an Icon.

9. kokiangel

kokiangel Android Expert

Nov 12, 2009
    Female
    Banker
    Helena, Alabama
    I agree about Bixby. That button gets in the way more often than not. It would have been better placed under or over the power button IMO.

marctronixx likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Welcome to the Galaxy Note 8 Forum where you'll find help, tips, tricks, accessories, reviews, and more for Samsung's S-Pen enabled smartphone. With a 6.3-inch screen, 6GB RAM, 8MP/12MP front & back cameras and a whole lot more- the Galaxy Note 8 is an absolute BEAST!