1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Switch Language on Keyboard

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jfbaro, Mar 18, 2010.

1. jfbaro

jfbaro Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Hi,

Most SMS I send are in Portuguese (Brazil), is there any way I could set the stock keyboard to suggest Portuguese words instead of English?

I have set it to Portuguese (as a general setting), but the suggestions on the keyboard are still in English.

I would like to have the general language to be English and be able to change the language for the keyboard as needed.

Sorry if that's a basic question.

Regards

Advertisement

2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    AFAIK, the stock Android keyboard follows the OS language setting. (As I prefer the OS to be in English even though I'm in Denmark, the stock dictionary fights my Danish typing.)

What I did was to install an additional keyboard (Scandinavian Keyboard in my case, but you could use any other) -- because this allows you to set a different language for that other keyboard. In this way, you can change your "Input Method" on a field to switch between dictionaries (and keyboard layouts and features :eek:).

There may be keyboards out there that support several dictionary languages, but I haven't found any (that met my needs).

Good luck!

3. shrink57

shrink57 Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    South Florida
    Smart Keyboard has a downloadable Portuguese dictionary for their keyboard. Another keyboard with Portuguese keyboard support (supports Portuguese characters) is AnySoftKeyboard. Both of these are available in the market.

4. Lombas

Lombas Lurker
    None

Nov 25, 2010
    In the iPhone the keyboard and the system languages are separated, so this is not a problem... but in the Android it is.

Installing a new keyboard with a different layout and/or different language solves the problem, allowing the phone to be in language A and for the text typed and the suggestions to be in language B.

But the problem is that the original Android keyboard for the language B is awesome and has great word suggestions.. and all the keyboards in the marketplace for language B are crap.

So, is there a way to copy the original Android keyboard in language B and install it as a different keyboard?

Thanks