• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switch to Note 2 but keep using my icloud calendar and contacts?

You can absolutely sync your Apple contacts and calendar with your Android.

The free method takes a little workaround which I will describe first. There is a paid method which will cost you a few bucks, but I feel, far less hassles.

First the free method...

To set up CalDAV support for Google Calendar in Apple's iCal, follow these steps:

Open Apple iCal, go to Preferences and then the Accounts tab.
Click on the + button to add an account.
Under Account Information, enter your Google Account username and password.
Under Server Options, add the following URL:
https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/YOUREMAIL@DOMAIN.COM/user
Replace 'youremail@domain.com' with your Google Account username.

Click Add.
Under the Delegation tab, select the calendars you'd like to add to iCal by checking the boxes next to them. You may need to hit refresh to get the latest list of calendars.
Add your email address to your Address Book card by selecting Add Email. You'll be prompted to add your email address only if your address is not already in your Address Book.
Your Google Calendar will now appear in iCal's list of calendars, and changes you make to your Google Calendar in iCal will be reflected when you sign in to Google Calendar.

Event information will automatically refresh every five minutes. You can change this interval by opening the iCal > Preferences > Accounts menu and selecting a new refresh interval under the Refresh calendars drop-down. Keep in mind you can also force a refresh by selecting a calendar and pressing the Apple and R keys at the same time.

You can sync contacts in your address book with your Google Contacts. If you sync your address book with multiple Mac computers, use just one of those computers to sync with Google Contacts. You can’t sync contacts from a CardDAV, Exchange, or Yahoo! account with Google Contacts.

Important: If syncing with Google Contacts is turned on when you add an iCloud account, the syncing option is turned off. It’s recommended to keep it turned off while you’re using the iCloud Contacts service.
Choose Address Book > Preferences, click Accounts, choose On My Mac in your list of accounts, and then click Account Information.
Select the “Synchronize with Google” checkbox.
Read the advisory information and then click Agree to continue.
Enter your Google account name (such as you@gmail.com or, for Google Apps customers, you@yourcompanyname.com) and password, and then click OK.
You can sync only one Google account.

When the account name and password you entered are confirmed, the dialog disappears. You can close Address Book preferences now if you want. Contacts will be synced automatically at a regular interval.

If you change your Google account name or password, click Configure to use the new account name or password to sync your contact information.

If numerous changes are detected during syncing, an alert is displayed; you can choose to continue or cancel the sync.

Now...if you want to do all that, it works. That is the way I originally started syncing my iCloud contacts and Calendar with Google.

Then I discovered two paid apps that will do it automatically for you without having to lift a finger...

SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar

SmoothSync For Cloud Contacts

My advice is spend the $6-7 for both these apps. They work well for me and the updating is more instantaneous than it was with the manual methods I described above.

Let us know what you ended up doing and how it is working for you.

PS: If you use Smoothsync, both applications require to download their free Workaround tool. You will see it listed in the program description.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones