• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switch upgrade to another line on a family plan?

qwertyaas

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010
Probably belongs in the AT&T section but that's basically what this is ;)

When I got my Captivate, I renewed my line on the family plan for 2 years. Question is, can I switch the renewed contract to another line on my family plan or the only way is to return the phone, cancel the renewal and resign for the 2 years on the second line?

The reason is I prefer to leave my line 'open' in terms of contract.

You cannot move the contract to another line; if you want to keep line 1 open, you have to do what Duck Tales LOL said.

But you can just move the phone, that is how I have my captivate. I renewed my line and my 2nd line when the backflip came out in March. Well my 3rd line came up last month. So I upgraded that line to a captivate. Once I walked outside, I swapped the sim cards and now my line has the captivate. AT&T dones not care in that respect

Reactions: qwertyaas
Upvote 0
Thank you both for the reply.

You cannot move the contract to another line; if you want to keep line 1 open, you have to do what Duck Tales LOL said.

But you can just move the phone, that is how I have my captivate. I renewed my line and my 2nd line when the backflip came out in March. Well my 3rd line came up last month. So I upgraded that line to a captivate. Once I walked outside, I swapped the sim cards and now my line has the captivate. AT&T dones not care in that respect

The reason I am considering this is getting the Captivate on Line #2 and just activating it on my line is very simple - just put my sim card in there (and there will be no data plan added to line #2, just the 2 year extension).

My issue is if I plan to get an iPhone (for instance) as well. Basically, can I just upgrade line #2 to an iPhone, but activate the iPhone on my line without Line #2 getting data activated (and only the 2 year line renewal - as when I renew online after selecting an iPhone, I must add a data plan to the line unlike the Captivate)?

Sorry if my post is confusing. ;)

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the reply.

The reason I am considering this is getting the Captivate on Line #2 and just activating it on my line is very simple - just put my sim card in there (and there will be no data plan added to line #2, just the 2 year extension).

My issue is if I plan to get an iPhone (for instance) as well. Basically, can I just upgrade line #2 to an iPhone, but activate the iPhone on my line without Line #2 getting data activated (and only the 2 year line renewal - as when I renew online after selecting an iPhone, I must add a data plan to the line unlike the Captivate)?

Sorry if my post is confusing. ;)

To use any smart phone on AT&T, captivate or iPhone you must have a data plan.

When you get the phone on line 2, they will try and make you add data to line 2. You can tell them you are upgrading the line but will not be using the phone on that line, so that line does not need data. If they still add data, once your sim is in the captivate, just call 611 and cancel the data plan on line 2.

The iPhone is a little harder, the store has to be willing to swap the phone to another line. They will need to upgrade line 2, but not active data or the phone on line 2. They will then need to active the iPhone on line 1 and add the iPhone data package to line one. It can be done, if they don't wat to do it, just goto Best Buy, they did it for me.

Upvote 0
To use any smart phone on AT&T, captivate or iPhone you must have a data plan.

When you get the phone on line 2, they will try and make you add data to line 2. You can tell them you are upgrading the line but will not be using the phone on that line, so that line does not need data. If they still add data, once your sim is in the captivate, just call 611 and cancel the data plan on line 2.

The iPhone is a little harder, the store has to be willing to swap the phone to another line. They will need to upgrade line 2, but not active data or the phone on line 2. They will then need to active the iPhone on line 1 and add the iPhone data package to line one. It can be done, if they don't wat to do it, just goto Best Buy, they did it for me.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking if I could switch the renewal to the other line (as right now, if I upgrade line #2 online, I can't even add a data plan - I can only do that after I get the phone) it would make a future renewal (if I would opt for an iPhone as well) easier.

It gets to be more of a hassle to do this with an iPhone as they want to activate it for you (actually, in store I think they always ask to activate the phone for you but you can decline). But I'm thinking canceling my renewal and renewing the other line will be much more of a hassle than just upgrading line #2 if I would want a newer phone.

This isn't against their terms though, correct? As the contract is strictly to keep the line for 2 years.

Thanks again!

Edit: Just to make it clear - I would not be using the new phone on line #2 at all. I would only be using the Line #2 upgrade to get the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones