1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Switched from DX to Fascinate

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Shamrock13, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Shamrock13

Shamrock13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Can anyone help me get root on this phone? On the Droid X, it was a simple one click method. On here, it seems I have to do 10 thousand different things all of which I'm unsure of do to the fact that I updated to 2.2 and at the moment it seems as though things are hopeless for me.

Like I said, currently on 2.2.1 with ED03. How do I go about rooting that?

Honestly, all I really want is to get rid of Bing and put Google where it belongs. Other than that, I'm fine with the ROM how it is, but I would definitely prefer fine tuning for amazing battery life. :)

So.... How do I root ED03 please?

P.S. Don't hate me for this thread. :(

Advertisement

2. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Android Expert
    None

May 17, 2010
    Edge of Insanity
    From what I have read, rooting on 2.2 on the Fascinate is a very convoluted process. I reshelved my Fascinate for this after trying a few days ago.

3. Shamrock13

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    For what it's worth, I went ahead and tried rooting my phone with the SuperOneClick root, and it worked flawlessly. I recommend trying that out if you don't want to go to all sorts of crazy lengths. :D

4. Shamrock13

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Now, this thread is about how to GET RID OF BING and make Google Search/Maps/Nav/everything point towards Google instead of a different program. :)

Please can someone lend me a hand? :D

5. tgulch22

tgulch22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    Paramedic
    Perrysburg, OH
    put Comm Rom on. If you have ED03 modem, then your good to go

6. Shamrock13

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    What is Comm ROM? I'm assuming Community ROM. Is it a standard Touchwiz except with Google integrated. Also, how do I go about installing it?

Also, how do I get back to stock if I don't like Comm ROM?

7. Shamrock13

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    I have a few questions to ask.

1. How do I keep CWM installed on the phone? I was able to get it to ODIN and have it, but every time it restarts, it's lost.

2. What is the best ROM for this device? I really would like to keep some of the Samsung/Touchwiz elements.

3. What all do I have to know to do anything on here? Let's say... On the Droid X, I had an .apk to one click root. I used ROM Manager to reboot to clockwork and from there I just selected the zip for the ROM I wanted installed. Is there anything special for this device I'll have to do on here? I already have it rooted and I already know I'll have to use ODIN for a lot of things, but I don't really know what it's purpose is I suppose.

4. Is there an easy way to get rid of Bingware/VZW Bloatware?

Thanks! :D

8. s44

s44 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    Clockwork: install any custom kernel before allowing the phone to normal (non-recovery) boot on the original kernel.
    choices -- stock (besides recovery) totally un-stock (adjustable OC/UV, Voodoo) in between (-50mv UV, Voodoo)

Root: no point, really, just install a pre-rooted ROM

ROMs:
    debloated/de-binged stock (only install from *red* recovery, not orange or yellow)
    Evil Fascination (heavily themed, moderately tweaked)
    Community ROM (lightly themed, heavily tweaked)

IMO both EF and the Community ROM have taken the tweaks too far. I suggest a previous build of Evil Fascination -- 3.4.1. (There's a 3.4.2 I think, but I don't have the dl link for that.)

9. Steven58

Steven58 Why, WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE... brats!

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    New Jersey, US of A
    Toast,
    It sounds like you need a converted Dx'r who understands the rooting differences, to indoctrinate you into fascinate modding! Do you like the new phone?

10. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    I recently installed a prerooted version of ED01 on my wife's Fascinate. It went smoothly, BUT I had the hardest time getting CWM to install and work. It kept booting into the stock recovery, and then when you supposedly can select the apply update.zip to get into CWM, it would error out as unsigned.

Finally got everything working... well almost. :rolleyes: At least I can make CWM backups.

11. cjcross22

cjcross22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Yeah how you liking the new phone? My brother has a SF and I was thinking about trying it out and getting away from this locked bootloader.

Might try to get him on the community rom this weekend, it looks sexy! :D

12. Gevis

Gevis Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 4, 2009
    +1 on Comm Rom 2.0 and -100 PBJ Kernel...snappy and great battery life...and it's amazingly smooth and I even underclock to 800.

13. Shamrock13

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Honestly, all I did so far was try and flash clockwork, but then it went back to stock. I'm rooted and everything, but I want to have a different ROM on here and sort of keep the same stabilization I feel the stock ROM has. I was thinking the MIUIwiz ROM?

How do I even flash ROMs on here? Do I boot into clockwork or do I have to use ODIN?

To Stephen, it's a really good phone to be honest with you. I love the fact that it's so blazingly fast compared to my DX, and the fact of the matter is this thing doesn't lag, doesn't lock up, doesn't do anything wrong at all ever. Haha. It's seriously a night and day difference coming from the Droid X.

The only problem with the SF is that I don't know the appropriate way to flash/install ROMs and everything. With the DX, I just tossed the .zip onto the SD card and booted into CWM and installed it. I've been getting this huge feeling that it's a little more difficult plus the fact that the SF forums on here and XDA aren't really as organized as the Droid X's are. It's an insane difference between the two which makes me get all sadfaced when it comes to wanting to install a different ROM. :(

14. s44

s44 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    Straight to Clockwork (three-button), then flash. Most ROMs have a built-in recovery option in the power menu.

After the initial Clockwork/kernel install, Odin packages are only if you bork yourself and need to start clean.

15. Shamrock13

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    So I ended up installing EF, the MIUI, and the CommROM. I was just testing them for 10-15 minutes. So far, I like the CommROM the best, but I think MIUI is close.

I've been using CommROM all day, but I hate the colours. I wish it was more a standard Touchwhiz colour palette instead.

Also, I cannot seem to get the time to show up in the status bar. I unchecked the box in TSM parts and restarted my phone, but it's still not showing up. Is there something special I have to do?

16. goat-head

goat-head Member
    None

May 11, 2011
    East freakin' Coast
    Oh man this is gonna be fun!!!!