• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Switched from iPhone 3g to Droid X.. Regretting decision

Hi Soapy, so say if I do get another calendar app. I still can't delete the original calendar off my phone. I don't really want clutter in my app drawer. Same thing with the launchers, it doesn't turn off motoblur, it's just redundancy.

What I want is to make my moto x as streamline and minimalistic as possible, but with all the bloatware and motoblur, I can't.

This is my biggest beef with this phone is the insane amount of bloat on the x there's mote memory being used by blur n the unremovable apps then on the incredible with sense, and people complained about the inc bloat lol. Ml

As far as a more minimalistic approach try putting your most used apps in. a folder shouldn't even have to use the app drawer., also try launch-x its a nice widget that saves a ton of space can use it like a folder or I use it to createan extra row of apps so the icons r slightly smaller and.removed the names and gives quick access to all the apps I use

Upvote 0
well for starters the droid x is about to go to froyo. that in itself will bring some changes and even more features. so lets start with what you can try now.

So what you want right now is to streamline things? you want it to be less steps to core functions?

what apps did you use the most in your iphone?

I'm just baffled by a few things, like why is the Sound/Silent/Vibrate modes so hard to configure? There is no such thing as vibrating mode. You have to go through each function in order to make things vibrate.

Another thing is reloading websites. I have to click on the options button and then reload, can't just press a reload button on the screen. No stop button on the screen either.
iPhone Apps:

Facebook (which is 100x better than the droid version for some odd reason)
Chase Mobile Banking (non existent on droid)
Gallery
iPod (better interface)
Broswer (reload button is a click away, droid you have to press options then reload... why?)
Email (terrible email interface)
Maps (led me to the wrong coordinates for the DroidLanding hunt!)

Upvote 0
lol some of the rude comments are unnecessary....

I was super new to android as well hon so the OS is a bit overwhelming if you dont know what you are doing

First...remember when you're last date to return the phone is....
Set a reminder so you don't miss the date to return if it doesnt work for you then

Till then...learn the phone

this is my 6th android device and I am looking to put down full retail for the fascinate when it comes out if it is as good as the Vibrant and recoup money from selling this phone

I am more familiar with HTC sense because i had 4 sense devices...An eris, An incredible, A hero, and an evo

I don't think your issue is with android but motoblur
Alot of your issues seem to be related to the UI
rather than the OS

so i greatly recommend exchanging for an incredible or an Eris(though never mind...Carmen, what the hell are you smoking lol)
Just get the incredible......

But stick it out for a bit longer.

i am still learning the droid X and it has only been 4 days but i am sure with time i will grow to become more used to motoblur and the Droid x

Upvote 0
You can download mobile banking for chase and there's tons of music players out there that can.make you feel better for music there's even an iphone clone one.

YouShould try k9 for email, there's a few other facebook apps also. There's some really good browser alternatives also, skyfire for flash support and dolphin browser for an awesome experience with add ons such as ad block and custom gestures to perform actions such as swipe your finger in a loop to refresh.

Reactions: DrSarcasmo
Upvote 0
Can people please convince me that Android is better? I've been using my droid x for 4 days and I've had to worry about battery life and reception more than I ever did with my iPhone3g.

I also find just the little things really inconvenient, like double tap to zoom and then having to move the screen around to find the text; iphone automatically does that.

Small things like the Calendar blows on android, who ever thought that a rectangular long boxes would look nice?

Syncing music and videos are okay with doubletwist, but then again, it's just another set of programs i need to use.

Apps are not as colorful or polished than the iPhone.

Also, why are all the vibrating functions sporadically everywhere and not under the centralized sound&display setting?

Why does auto-focus make a sound when you're in silent mode?!?!

Motorola's Stock UI is incredibly lame and irrelevant. I tried ADW and Launcher pro and they both hogged my precious battery life.

The things i love about android are:

-Swype
-Google integration
- Notifications
-Screen size (though that's not really Android)
- widgets (especially the nytimes!)

The droid x is not perfect. I miss sense which is HTC's os overlay.

Here is the bottom line:

If you are a savvy user, then the move between the iphone and android platforms should be painless and almost seamless. There are data formats that are accepted standards that should make transferring info a non-issue.

Really, in my opinion, it sounds like the iphone is a better choice just because the simplicity is something you are looking for. Granted, you will have access to about 10,000 more fart apps, so that is a huge plus as well.

I have no issues doing exactly what you're talking about doing. So is it user error or a flaw in the design?

Think of the iphone as a smartphone with training wheels. Apparently, you're just not quite ready to rip off the training wheels and get a better experience. Just don't forget to get the rubber condom, er bumper, er whatever, so you can actually use the device. I hear Steve is sending those out for free.

If you actually want some help, PM me.

Upvote 0
"I also find just the little things really inconvenient, like double tap to zoom and then having to move the screen around to find the text; iphone automatically does that"

edit: skyfire browser. download it, then setup the options. autozoom level is in there.:D

"Small things like the Calendar blows on android, who ever thought that a rectangular long boxes would look nice?"

there are many calendar apps you can try, some have alot of options and skins.

"Syncing music and videos are okay with doubletwist, but then again, it's just another set of programs i need to use."

you can try vcast media manager its free. i personally drag and drop files onto my device and launch them through the gallery. Once you set all your defaults, the experience is seamless.

"Apps are not as colorful or polished than the iPhone."

Try beautiful widgets in combination with adw launcher, and launcher pro, and pure messenger and calendar. those core apps are highly customizable and have free skins available.

"Also, why are all the vibrating functions sporadically everywhere and not under the centralized sound&display setting?"

use the switchpro widget and place it on your home screen. It offers you the ability to change important features on the phone on or off, right from your home screen without having to go into the menus. wifi/blutooth/gps/screentimeout/sound/vibrate/torch battery percentage are in there

"Why does auto-focus make a sound when you're in silent mode?!?!"

software issue, should be fixed. try a different camera app like camera360.

"Motorola's Stock UI is incredibly lame and irrelevant. I tried ADW and Launcher pro and they both hogged my precious battery life."

plenty of us use adw or lp with no issue. I used my device(LP) alot today and i am really liking the battery life i get, but i noticed this since day 1. i was coming from an incredible.
what your experiencing is apples restriction of multitasking on your model iphone. If we limit the droid X to only running 1 app at a time, then of course we will also get 30+ plus hours of battery. Its really a trade off, but not one that you dont have any options for. If you go into menu>battery settings you can give yourself more time. Going further into things, and reducing the frequency in which your apps sync and use data, can also increase battery life. Also keep in mind that live wallpapers also stress the battery.

Reactions: tdse
Upvote 0
well come on, iphone is a smart phone with training wheels? You have to agree that the general consensus is that iPhone is great at what it does. It's not to say that people who loves the iPhone are technologically impaired. It's a great UI with a slightly flawed phone. Where as the Droid X is a great phone with a hugely flawed UI.

Upvote 0
"I also find just the little things really inconvenient, like double tap to zoom and then having to move the screen around to find the text; iphone automatically does that"

unfortunately i dont know any other solution other than tapping it. perhaps a browser in the future or even froyo will provide the autozoom feature. Its certainly not a hardware limitation, its just an option not provided in the settings.

"Small things like the Calendar blows on android, who ever thought that a rectangular long boxes would look nice?"

there are many calendar apps you can try, some have alot of options and skins.

"Syncing music and videos are okay with doubletwist, but then again, it's just another set of programs i need to use."

you can try vcast media manager its free. i personally drag and drop files onto my device and launch them through the gallery. Once you set all your defaults, the experience is seamless.

"Apps are not as colorful or polished than the iPhone."

Try beautiful widgets in combination with adw launcher, and launcher pro, and pure messenger and calendar. those core apps are highly customizable and have free skins available.

"Also, why are all the vibrating functions sporadically everywhere and not under the centralized sound&display setting?"

use the switchpro widget and place it on your home screen. It offers you the ability to change important features on the phone on or off, right from your home screen.

"Why does auto-focus make a sound when you're in silent mode?!?!"

software issue, should be fixed. try a different camera app like camera360.

"Motorola's Stock UI is incredibly lame and irrelevant. I tried ADW and Launcher pro and they both hogged my precious battery life."

plenty of us use it with no issue. I used my device alot today and i am really liking the battery life i get, but i noticed this since day 1. i was coming from an incredible.
what your experiencing is apples restriction of multitasking on your model iphone. If we limit the droid X to only running 1 app at a time, then of course we weill also get 30+ plus hours of battery.

Hey 2009, thank you so much for those suggestions!! I'm going to check them out before bed tonight. And you know what, you're definitely right about the battery comparison.

I wasn't even comparing apples to apples to begin with. You really spoke some sense to me, I truly appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
The droid x is not perfect. I miss sense which is HTC's os overlay.

Here is the bottom line:

If you are a savvy user, then the move between the iphone and android platforms should be painless and almost seamless. There are data formats that are accepted standards that should make transferring info a non-issue.

Really, in my opinion, it sounds like the iphone is a better choice just because the simplicity is something you are looking for. Granted, you will have access to about 10,000 more fart apps, so that is a huge plus as well.

I have no issues doing exactly what you're talking about doing. So is it user error or a flaw in the design?

of the iphone as a smartphone with training wheels. Apparently, you're just not quite ready to rip off the training wheels and get a better experience. Just don't forget to get the rubber condom, er bumper, er whatever, so you can actually use the device. I hear Steve is sending those out for free.

If you actually want some help, PM me.

That bumper helping is BS. Had a bumper on mine still dropped 5 calls in one day. Not due to service area either. Full bars then call failed out of nowhere on some of them

Upvote 0
I'm just baffled by a few things, like why is the Sound/Silent/Vibrate modes so hard to configure? There is no such thing as vibrating mode. You have to go through each function in order to make things vibrate.
switchpro widget

Another thing is reloading websites. I have to click on the options button and then reload, can't just press a reload button on the screen. No stop button on the screen either.
Try the skyfire and set the options. it has everything you expect of a browser.

Upvote 0
Can people please convince me that Android is better? I've been using my droid x for 4 days and I've had to worry about battery life and reception more than I ever did with my iPhone3g.

I also find just the little things really inconvenient, like double tap to zoom and then having to move the screen around to find the text; iphone automatically does that.

Small things like the Calendar blows on android, who ever thought that a rectangular long boxes would look nice?

Syncing music and videos are okay with doubletwist, but then again, it's just another set of programs i need to use.

Apps are not as colorful or polished than the iPhone.

Also, why are all the vibrating functions sporadically everywhere and not under the centralized sound&display setting?

Why does auto-focus make a sound when you're in silent mode?!?!

Motorola's Stock UI is incredibly lame and irrelevant. I tried ADW and Launcher pro and they both hogged my precious battery life.

The things i love about android are:

-Swype
-Google integration
- Notifications
-Screen size (though that's not really Android)
- widgets (especially the nytimes!)

Go back and kiss Steve Jobs ass. What can we say??? Bye

Upvote 0
How do you feel about the droid x? do you miss the iphone? Like with the iphone I never had to worry about killing apps, and battery life.

You also couldn't run multiple apps with the iPhone if I am not mistaken. ;)

My Android philosophy goes like this... if you don't like what you are with now, search the market or even just ask around what kind of app you are looking for. People are very helpful I find when it comes to apps. :)

There are so many great apps that take place of the stock ones and they also look fantastic!

Just search.

Upvote 0
iPhone Apps:
Facebook (which is 100x better than the droid version for some odd reason)
Chase Mobile Banking (non existent on droid)
Gallery
iPod (better interface)
Broswer (reload button is a click away, droid you have to press options then reload... why?)
Email (terrible email interface)
Maps (led me to the wrong coordinates for the DroidLanding hunt!)

F: just use the skyfire browser, make yourself a bookmark. Go home create a shortcut on the desktop to that bookmark. done. until i can honestly recommend a more efficient way, this is the only way to go.

C:I know.im a cardholder myself.:( fortunately, the skyfire browser is very useful. again create a shortcut to the chase website.

G: there is another option its the gallery3dmt app. i believe thats what its called. i havent tried it on this phone ...yet.

I: i would certainly hope the ipod wins this one. it would be wrong if it didnt. The obvious option of creating a widget and just launching playlists without leaving the home screen is a welcome feature in my eyes

B: skyfire. meets all your requirements

E: i actually like it. lol what irks you about it

M: The times i have tested it, its worked fine. I did notice, that it works better if you turn all the options on. these can be found in location>my location

Reactions: XBarbarian
Upvote 0
Go back and kiss Steve Jobs ass. What can we say??? Bye

i kinda skimmed through all these post but as a former Iphoner myself now with a Droid x sitting here next to me feeling all the same things the OP is feeling I have 1 question....Y do some people have to be so rude...The OP poster posted nothing but an honest debate subject/questions and your response is juvenile at best. You might as well be saying "na na na booo...boo my toy is better than yours"

Upvote 0
i kinda skimmed through all these post but as a former Iphoner myself now with a Droid x sitting here next to me feeling all the same things the OP is feeling I have 1 question....Y do some people have to be so rude...The OP poster posted nothing but an honest debate subject/questions and your response is juvenile at best. You might as well be saying "na na na booo...boo my toy is better than yours"

There are always RuhTards somewhere on the interwebs... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hey 2009, thank you so much for those suggestions!! I'm going to check them out before bed tonight. And you know what, you're definitely right about the battery comparison.

I wasn't even comparing apples to apples to begin with. You really spoke some sense to me, I truly appreciate your help.

No problem, i just typed that up as quickly as possible. hopefully you can find a solution with that, or somebody can offer you some better options. good luck

Upvote 0
F: just use the skyfire browser, make yourself a bookmark. Go home create a shortcut on the desktop to that bookmark. done. until i can honestly recommend a more efficient way, this is the only way to go.

C:I know.im a cardholder myself.:( fortunately, the skyfire browser is very useful. again create a shortcut to the chase website.

G: there is another option its the gallery3dmt app. i believe thats what its called. i havent tried it on this phone ...yet.

I: i would certainly hope the ipod wins this one. it would be wrong if it didnt. The obvious option of creating a widget and just launching playlists without leaving the home screen is a welcome feature in my eyes

B: skyfire. meets all your requirements

E: i actually like it. lol what irks you about it

M: The times i have tested it, its worked fine. I did notice, that it works better if you turn all the options on. these can be found in location>my location

Sounds like skyfire all the way, huh? Let me go check it out.

Upvote 0
I came from a 3GS. Upgraded to iPhone 4. Bought Droid X. Returned iPhone 4. Here are my thoughts based on what you're experiencing:

Android is a completely different eco-system. If you've been used to Apple products, iTunes, and how things work on iOS, you're going to feel uncomfortable for a while. You'll definitely experience a sense of freedom, but you'll also have to do some work to get things the way you want them.

With iOS, pretty much everyone has the exact same experience with the UI. This is both a good thing and a bad thing, and is simply a result of different philosophies. Apple knows that everyone will be able to use all of their products with ease.

Those that are comfortable and content with iOS would not even be looking elsewhere, so I've got to ask why you even gave Android and the Droid X a try in the first place? You must have either been tiring of the same old experience on iOS, or you're looking for something that is missing. You simply have to weight what you've gained against what you miss, but don't do it with less than a week's worth of experience.

Take battery life, for example. There's a trade-off between Apple's approach and Android's approach. You'll get better battery life with iOS, for sure, but you're also very limited (even with iOS 4) with what you can do. Android has complete flexibility, but many of those conveniences come at a cost of a certain amount of battery life. Live Wallpapers, for example, are very cool and may give you a certain amount of pleasure when using your phone. But they'll take a chuck of battery. Background notifications for everything under the sun is nice, but they'll take a chunk too. You have to find a balance that's right for you. Thankfully, there will be a bigger battery that will not only last longer, but will also provide a spare. With iOS devices, you have longer battery life but you can't swap. So it's a trade-off that you'll have to weigh for yourself.

I'll admit, there are some things I miss with my iPhone. In fact, I'm still thinking of using my deactivated 3GS for iPod functionality. I've found no good solution for podcast syncing that works as well as iTunes and I listen to them almost every night at work. I found some apps that will sync them, but I can't see which ones are new/old.

So I'd say give it some more time. Keep customizing until you get the Droid X the way you want it. THEN decide what to do. Don't be ashamed if you want to go back to iOS, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. But don't be surprised if you don't want to let go of the freedom Android offers as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones