1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Switched off phone for long periods of time

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Mann_mann, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Mann_mann

Mann_mann Lurker

Hi, I have Samsung Galaxy j7 max. Now i got gift new phone. So I am using new one. Hence I want to keep my samsung j7 max for as a backup phone. Is any problem/issue occurred if I kept my phone switched off for long periods of time(i.e. 6 months or for year)? What precaution I have to take? Can discharge battery to 0 percentage. Or keep charge for certain percentage and then switched off? Is any battery or any circuit, or any other issue occoureo/happen if I kept switch off for long periods of time and after power on after few months/year? Plz help me/suggest me about the same. Also plz let me know what precaution I have to take.
    Plz note: Samsung j7 max having non-removable battery..

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

No

tube517 and ocnbrze like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

No, do NOT discharge it to 0% and put it away. Long term complete discharge can damage the LiPo battery. Do the opposite, fully charge it, turn it off, then put it away. There maybe some long term self discharge, but six months should be OK

MoodyBlues, Dannydet, Hadron and 2 others like this.
  4. lvt

lvt Android Expert

If you don't use your phone, do a factory reset and sell it before it becomes an antique item.

As said above, battery discharge to 0 is bad, but it's inevitable if you don't use the phone.

In case you want to keep your phone, you should charge it once every 6 months or so. Why I say 6 months? It's because when I bought my newest phone and switched it on, the battery shows 45%. Based on the production date the phone might have left the factory 4 months ago with a pre-charged battery, so the monthly discharge rate (with no load) could be somewhere between 12~15% depending on the battery's capacity.

MoodyBlues, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  5. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I was going to suggest selling it while it's still relevant, but @lvt beat me to it! :D

Seriously, instead of letting it age in a drawer, sell it now while it's still worth something, and sock away the money from its sale to use when you need a new phone.

Dannydet and lvt like this.
  6. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Expert

That's a very good phone..my mom has it..I would keep it.

Just saying.

7. lvt

lvt Android Expert

You say it 2x better :)

MoodyBlues likes this.
  8. Mann_mann

Mann_mann Lurker

Thanks a lot to all of you for your reply & suggestions.

9. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Expert

We are very glad to help!!!

Samsung Galaxy J7 Max Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews