1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Switches off and has crashed twice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bullitt_McQueen, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Bullitt_McQueen

Bullitt_McQueen Well-Known Member

Bought a second-hand N5 and have had it for about 5 or 6 days.

I've suffered with a few complete lock-ups and a few times when the phone has just turned off.

This is my first Nexus device, so is this the norm for them? What with it being second-hand, I don't have the luxury of a manufacturer warranty.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert

Have you carried out a factory reset? I would do that first to eliminate any unwanted data or apps which could be misbehaving from the previous owner.

Is it rooted? It could be running a custom ROM which isn't stable...

It is not a "feature" of Nexus phones to be unstable like this so I recommend you establish the above two points before looking at the fact you have a faulty device. If you have the receipt from the previous owner then you still may be able to make a warranty claim.

3. Coops025

Coops025 Newbie

I've never had my phone crash once, only a few apps that have not been updated for kitkat which were ok after they updated.

As "Martin S" Suggested, you should try a factory reset if you have not tried that already, just remember to back everything up.

4. Bullitt_McQueen

Thanks a lot, guys. The phone came already FDR'd as I had to set it up and, as far as I can tell, it isn't rooted.

I think I'll FDR it again and see what happens.

Is there a sure-fire way of identifying if it's currently rooted?

Thanks again.

5. Hunter5

Hunter5 Android Enthusiast

One way would be to install "Root Checker" from the Play Store, it's a simple app that you can uninstall once your done.

6. Bullitt_McQueen

Just done a FDR and have verified that the device isn't rooted.

Shall wait and see if things settle down.

Thanks guys

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews