• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching between applications

Asterdroid

Android Expert
Mar 24, 2010
Providence
plus.google.com
Not sure if this has been posted yet, and I don't know if this is one of those "duh" functions that everyone but me knew about, but here's a (hopefully) helpful tidbit.

If you hold down the home button, a folder pops up containing all active applications. You can very easily switch back and forth between open apps this way.

I have been using this function to switch between my calorie counter and weight watchers diary since neither have all the functionality I need at the moment.

Hope that helps some folks.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, and I don't know if this is one of those "duh" functions that everyone but me knew about, but here's a (hopefully) helpful tidbit.

If you hold down the home button, a folder pops up containing all active applications. You can very easily switch back and forth between open apps this way.

I have been using this function to switch between my calorie counter and weight watchers diary since neither have all the functionality I need at the moment.

Hope that helps some folks.

Duh. ;)

Upvote 0
Another helpful tip related to this. It's not just most recently used. If you are trying to work in two applications at once, you can do this from within the application to bring up another application instead of exiting out of it, and when you switch back it will be exactly where you left off. Great for copying and pasting between applications. :)

Upvote 0
Have only had my dinc two days and loving it! This tip is great, it was one of those things that was frustrating me a bit - not knowing if there was a way to switch back and forth between two opened apps. But it brings up another question. How can you ensure that you've closed an application? For instance on facebook, I leave the application, but when I return, it appears to have remained open - it's in exactly the same place as when I left.

My only concern about this is that I'm assuming I'm burning battery time if I leave several apps hanging open.

Upvote 0
Have only had my dinc two days and loving it! This tip is great, it was one of those things that was frustrating me a bit - not knowing if there was a way to switch back and forth between two opened apps. But it brings up another question. How can you ensure that you've closed an application? For instance on facebook, I leave the application, but when I return, it appears to have remained open - it's in exactly the same place as when I left.

My only concern about this is that I'm assuming I'm burning battery time if I leave several apps hanging open.
Leave them running; Android is designed to keep apps in memory as long as it can or until it needs the resources for the app that is in the foreground (directly being used). In fact, completely killing apps that you use often will drain more battery; keeping the RAM full doesn't impact battery, but reloading an app completely does.

Upvote 0

Bad assumption. Almost any app "running" in the background isn't using CPU or Network. It's just sitting in the RAM, which as drdoom said doesn't use any battery (well, full RAM doesn't use any more battery than empty).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones