1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Switching between T-mobile and Cricket SIMs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ragnarkar, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ragnarkar

ragnarkar Well-Known Member

I'm currently paying $30/mo on T-mobile for 100 minutes and 5 GB (i rely on VOIP instead of buying more minutes.) However, I also learned the hard way that rural coverage on T-mobile's 2G (EDGE) network is virtually unusable.

It seems Cricket has much more reliable rural coverage and supposedly works with the Nexus 5 but it's $40/mo with less data. I'm considering getting a Cricket sim, activating it whenever I'm traveling on a roadtrip or something instead of completely switching over.

Is this possible without having to factory reset the phone each time before switching sims?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

I may be mistaken, but I don't think you'd need to do a factory reset when you switch SIMs (did somebody who tried this in the past, indicate that it was needed?)

I have switched SIMs between Sprint and T-mo a few times, before I switched over to T-mo for good.

KOLIO, DonB and ragnarkar like this.
  3. badutahboy

badutahboy Well-Known Member

No need for a factory reset, just switch the SIM and reboot the phone.

The only thing you might have to do is manually create an APN profile for cricket and switch to it when you insert the cricket SIM. For whatever reason, it didn't create automatically when I switched to Cricket..

jj14x, KOLIO, DonB and 1 other person like this.
  4. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

They are correct no need to FR, but as the previous member mention, you may have to edit the APN Profile, you should be able to switch between the 2 once created and should be able to switch between the 2 when set.

ragnarkar and KOLIO like this.
  5. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

I've had experience w/carrier phones that I've SIM unlocked & phones unlocked w/o any carrier affiliation.

As DonB mentioned, once you've used the SIM Card, you may not have to do anything.

However, I did have a T-Mobile LG G-FLEX that if you factory reset, you had to go into the settings & either select the APN for the non T-Mobile SIM Card or, manually enter the APN.

On a factory SIM unlocked/carrier free phone, such as the 1+1 from OnePlus, just pop-in your SIM Card & the phone takes care of the rest.

If your having issues, feel free to PM me & I'll try to help in any way I can.

ragnarkar, jj14x and DonB like this.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews