1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Switching between wireless access points is not automatic

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jruddell, Sep 1, 2011.

1. jruddell

jruddell Lurker

I've read a few threads about wireless access points and auto switching to the strongest signal but have not seen any solutions.

I've just set up another WAP in my home office but I have to manually connect to the strongest WAP. My laptop doesn't have a problem and from what I've read it seems to be an Android issue.

Same SSID and passwords, different channels, both WAPS are broadcasting.

Same problem with other WIFIs not just mine.

Is there a fix or can I jump on a "me too" petition to get it fixed?

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert

Have you checked your settings. Passwords are correct and networks are set on "remember"?

I know when I leave my house (wifi) and walk out of range of my wifi, my device, EVO 4G, automatically connects to sprints network. When I enter my building my device switches to our in office wifi.

The switch is not immediate, it does take 5 seconds or so to which, but I don't see that as a problem.

3. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Android Expert

That's not exactly what he's saying. It's not connecting to a network that's the problem. It's disconnecting from a weak network when a stronger network is in range.

Put me on that Get it Fixed list!!!:mad:

4. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert

Ahhh. Sorry didn't understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

5. DaveLP

DaveLP Lurker

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am ignorant of the specifics of Android internals.

This thread does not seem to have any concrete resolution or attribution to a known issue. I am experiencing exactly the same problem with both my devices.

I have two Netgear access points that straddle a very thick brick wall down the middle of the house (One is a Virgin superhub cable wireless router and one is a plain AP with a copper uplink). They are configured on channels 1 & 6 with the same SSID and password. I used WiFi Analyzer to select reasonably free channels. As I move out of range of one AP and towards the other the connection does not switch until the signal is actually lost. I can encounter severe drop out problems but so long as there is a trace of a signal from the current AP the device does not seem to scan for a stronger signal.

Is this expected behaviour ? Is it actually on a bug list somewhere or am I missing a tweak?

Many Thanks

Dave

6. dijorc

dijorc Lurker

I'm looking for a long time for this feature. Automatically connecting to my strongest accespoint in house howto?