1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Switching for Sense to CM7... need help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by egernant, Apr 12, 2011.

1. egernant

egernant Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    I love HTC Sense as much as anyone. It is the reason I bought the Dinc instead of the DX. However, I really really want to like Vanilla better for a variety of reasons, especially since I'm sick of the typical HTC battery life, so my next phone may be of a different manufacturer and I don't want to rely on Sense anymore. The transition has not been easy though, and I want to see if there are solutions to the issues I'm having with Vanilla.

First off, when I loaded the ROM, a ton of old apps, many of which I wanted and many of which I uninstalled a long time ago, automatically downloaded and installed themselves. I assume this is a reflection of the apps I had installed last time I ran a Vanilla ROM and my google account backed them up and automatically restored them. Does that mean if I uninstall the ones I don't want and install everything I want, then reload this ROM or another vanilla ROM, will everything I want be loaded automatically? How can I make this backup/restore process easier in the future?

Next, one of my biggest complaints with vanilla android is the dialer and contact system. HTC's dialer lets you dial numbers and, like t9, pulls up all of the contacts with the letters you dialed. Makes my life so so much easier. In vanilla, I have to go to the contacts tab and scroll down or do a search. I can't get used to it, its very inefficient. Also, HTC's contact system is amazing in the way that it takes the data from both my email accounts, facebook, etc and combines it seemlessly, displaying profile pictures from facebook when they call and making it very easy to email/text/call anyone instantly. How can I get this in CM7? Is there a way using root explorer to uninstall the dialer and contacts app and replace them with HTC versions?

That's all I can think of for now. I really want to like vanilla over sense but I just don't see any advantages yet. Any one have any convincing points as to why vanilla is better?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    "dialer one" in the market will solve your dialing issues.
    When editing a contact, hit menu, select "join" and you can sync it to your facebook account.

Mskgreenel and egernant like this.
  3. JSS12

JSS12 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    New York City, NY
    I downloaded Dialer One.. but it doesnt find all of my friends when I enter a friends name in T9...?

Is this because it is only searching my "Friends" and not my "Family" or "CoWorkers" groups?

any way to fix this?

4. JSS12

JSS12 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    New York City, NY
    Other than Dialer One - any other viable options?

Anyway to get the Sense dialer? It was so much better.. the cyanogen and dialer one are painful

5. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    I never had a problem with dialer one not seeing contacts and I do have them in groups so can't help you there. This is my first go around with dialer one so don't know the ins and outs of it. I actually switched over to SR4 because of the "screen going black issue" on CM7. SR4 combines some of the features of CM7 with sense.

6. JSS12

JSS12 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    New York City, NY
    I found Angel Dialer and like it much better than Dialer One... Just a thought for those CM7s out there...