• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching from 3G to 4G phone

jova33

Android Expert
Oct 19, 2011
El Paso
My wife has the iPhone 4S with unlimited data. I jumped into the smartphone world late in the game and never got unlimited data.
Anyways, my question is, when my wife upgrades to a 4G phone, will she be able to keep unlimited data?
When I went from a 3G phone to 4G, Verizon told me I had to get a 4G data plan. So I'm thinking my wife will have to do this as well and we'll lose her unlimited data. I hope not.

Well first of all, she will lose unlimited regardless of what phone she gets if she gets a subsidized upgrade. Verizon has ended grandfathered upgrades with unlimited. But if she pays full retail, buys a used phone, or uses an upgrade from another line, she will keep her unlimited no matter what phone she gets. Going from 3G to 4G doesn't matter in that regard.

Upvote 0
So if we use my upgrade she'll be good. But we can't use her upgrade ever? Not even transferring her upgrade to my line off the website?

So like use my upgrade on my line, get her a new phone, she can activate it on her line, and then transfer her upgrade to my line, and get me a new phone. Eh? Could work lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones