• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching from 3gs to Hero

Well, the obvious is the open OS ... and the abililty to change ROMs at will.

The multi-tasking of background apps ...

The ability though the custom builds to use some of the best features form the various platforms on my G1...

Having Auto-sync for my Contact, email, and calendar thru the cloud network ...

Restoration from easy image backups ...

Apps restore as well via the google account ...

Customization of Screens to make the phone appear as unique and more of my own creation ... (not a fixed set of app icons in little uniform boxes)

.... those are the high points ...
is the screen customization a standard built in thing?also if i was to be online then perhaps go on messaging then leave all night would the web page continue to load all night long or does it stop the data flow?

Upvote 0
is the screen customization a standard built in thing?also if i was to be online then perhaps go on messaging then leave all night would the web page continue to load all night long or does it stop the data flow?

No you put what you want on the screen in the way of shortcuts, widgets etc ..

if you leave a web page open in view and the page has auto refresh features ... then it will send data until you leave or close that page ...

Upvote 0
I'm guessing it will not refresh, since sleep mode will lock the phone and hide the browser screen.. not sure though.

Another (rather advanced) thing that you should also know about is the scripting ability. If you know Python, Perl, Ruby, Lua or BeanShell scripting languages, you can write scripts that may act on specific things like phone state, incoming chat, position, etc. For instance, you could write a script that disables all wireless internet connections(?) when you put the phone face down on the table.

More info:
Android Scripting Environment
and an example:
Barcode scanner in 6 lines of Python code

Upvote 0
I won my choice of a 3gs and a MyTouch ... and it took no thought ... it was the MyTouch solely because it was Android ...

Here is a good start for a new thread, i believe: What made you switch from the phone you had to the hero?
I had my iphone 2G for almost two years now and i wanted something new. Decided for android after reading a lot abut it and of course the looks of the hero was kinda cool.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing it will not refresh, since sleep mode will lock the phone and hide the browser screen.. not sure though.

Another (rather advanced) thing that you should also know about is the scripting ability. If you know Python, Perl, Ruby, Lua or BeanShell scripting languages, you can write scripts that may act on specific things like phone state, incoming chat, position, etc. For instance, you could write a script that disables all wireless internet connections(?) when you put the phone face down on the table.

More info:
Android Scripting Environment
and an example:
Barcode scanner in 6 lines of Python code
that is very interesting, cheers for that info!how would you send the script?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones