• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching from an Eris

csetheridge

Nov 13, 2009
I want to switch from my Eris to the X, how are you guys switching without out paying full retail? I got the Eris the day it came out, so I'm not due an upgrade yet. And I really don't want to add another line to my plan. Any suggestions on dealing with Customer service , trying to upgrade without adding a line? I've had so many issues with the Eris and they just want to keep trying to put a bandaid on the problems.

I want to switch from my Eris to the X, how are you guys switching without out paying full retail? I got the Eris the day it came out, so I'm not due an upgrade yet. And I really don't want to add another line to my plan. Any suggestions on dealing with Customer service , trying to upgrade without adding a line? I've had so many issues with the Eris and they just want to keep trying to put a bandaid on the problems.

Have you returned any of your Eris' yet? Having a record of past issues really helps. What you can do is talk to a rep and then ask to speak to a supervisor if they don't want to help. I spoke with a supervisor and said that I was having tons of problems with my Eris since the 2.1 update and she moved up my NE2 date.

Upvote 0
The Eris has worked just fine for me for many months. I am not sure what issues you are having, but why don't you explain them firstly cause to tell you the truth, I hear people complain all the time with zero justification. You wanted a cheap Android phone and opted for the Eris. How do I know? I did the same thing coming from a Blackberry. But, I have upgrades available and you do not.

Here are your options:

1.) Add a new line of service.
2.) Pay full retail for the phone
3.) Buy a phone off of ebay or craigslist.

You actually have a couple more options available, but I am not a huge fan of cheating the system. Figure out your own options and next time, do some research before you buy. You had 30 days to love it or hate it. It would have only cost you $35 at that point. Now it's going to cost you more.

Or are one of these people who sees the latest and greatest come out and need to have it? If so, you should have bought the droid in the first place instead of the Eris.

Hope you get it resolved and I would make better consumer choices in the future if it that serious an issue you need to make a post about how to work around the system.

Upvote 0
The Eris has worked just fine for me for many months. I am not sure what issues you are having, but why don't you explain them firstly cause to tell you the truth, I hear people complain all the time with zero justification. You wanted a cheap Android phone and opted for the Eris. How do I know? I did the same thing coming from a Blackberry. But, I have upgrades available and you do not.

Here are your options:

1.) Add a new line of service.
2.) Pay full retail for the phone
3.) Buy a phone off of ebay or craigslist.

You actually have a couple more options available, but I am not a huge fan of cheating the system. Figure out your own options and next time, do some research before you buy. You had 30 days to love it or hate it. It would have only cost you $35 at that point. Now it's going to cost you more.

Or are one of these people who sees the latest and greatest come out and need to have it? If so, you should have bought the droid in the first place instead of the Eris.

Hope you get it resolved and I would make better consumer choices in the future if it that serious an issue you need to make a post about how to work around the system.

Before you go accusing people of cheating the system, maybe you should do a bit of research. Maybe you've not had any problems with your Eris, but a lot of people have. My wife and I both had an Eris, which was a great device until they sent out the 2.1 update, which introduced a whole host of problems. This update came months into the life of the phone and early adopters would have been beyond their return period. It was also MANDATORY, so there was no getting around putting it on your phone.

An error my wife and I had both been having was an issue where sound would completely cut off and the only way to fix it was to restart the phone. This issues has been documented by a whole host of people on the Eris forum, so it's not due to anyone wanting the latest and greatest. If the device doesn't function as a phone, which is what it is first and foremost...then damn right we're entitled to something that does.

Upvote 0
I had an Eris as well. It got water damage last month. It would not turn back on after that. My Eris was dead. I had no insurance on it. My only option was to get a pre-owned Eris for $170, DROID or Devour. I didn't want a pre-owned Eris. I wasn't fond of the DROID or Devour.
I ended up getting a DROID X. Unfortunately, I had to pay full retail for it which sucked.

Upvote 0
I used my wife's line--her contract was up at the end of July...the sales associate didn't understand the rules at first ("if your contract expires anytime in 2010, you can upgrade"), but I got her straightened-out. I also had an email from VZW customer service saying that I could scam on her line.

End result, VZW did their little switcheroo and voila', Droid X in my hands. :D

Upvote 0
I have an eris. It was the best phone I've ever had before getting a droid x. The droid eris was more than fine for my needs, but the battery life for me was abysmal. I have the seido 1750mAh extended battery and that didn't help much more. I was an active reader on the eris forums here and learned about the ways to save battery life. But at the end of the day, I was stuck places with a phone that would die on me in less than a day with low to moderate use. I also had reception issues as well, but that's beside the point.

Anyways, to answer your question, there probably isn't much you can do to switch to the droid x at an affordable price. All the replacement phones I've got from Verizon they gave me the same phone (a refurb unit). Maybe you can find a refurb eris that is still on 1.5 and then just ignore the OTA update message.

Verizon does allow early upgrades, but I think that would still be a long way from now for you. If I were you I would just do the hard thing (but smart thing) and wait for a few months for some of the droid x issues to get worked out and maybe by the time the froyo update rolls around, droid x prices on craigslist/ebay won't be so inflated.

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue, I had a pass me down because my bro got the Droid so I took his old Eris. I didnt have an upgrade available until Sept of 2011 which kinda sucked. So I bought the Droid X for $570 (including shipping) and still had my Eris. I then posted it on Craigslist and sold it for $250.

$570-$250 = $320 out of pocket which is about $120 more than upgrading the line ($300 - $100 rebate at Verizon). So figured I paid $120 extra for an upgrade to have it now instead of waiting a year, it was worth it IMO.

You can get your phone unlocked for $20 and sell it Contract/Provider free for $250+ on Craigslist.

Upvote 0
I also came from an Eris. I had 5 replacements from Verizon that all had the exact same problems. I told them I would not accept another replacement and they either were going to move my upgrade date or I was cancelling my contract. (I was serious about it by the way, was about to go get a HTC Evo if they didn't.)
Someone called me back and left me a voicemail saying I would be able to upgrade early and to call them back. I called back and asked them about it (different person) and they told me they do not move upgrade dates (which I know is a lie, it was done for my father on his plan before).
I actually had to have the CSR conference call my voicemail before they would believe me.
I have my X now, but this is most likely my last Verizon phone (last one on contract for sure - only got a 1 year this time). The treatment their "customer service" has given me is out of line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones