1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Switching from blackberry

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by aperseghin, May 24, 2011.

1. aperseghin

aperseghin Member
    None

May 24, 2011
    Ok im switching from a storm to a vortex.. Any pointers on how to make this switch go smoothly.. I think im going to use google sync for my contacts.. but the blackberry folder structure is different than android.. so how do i deal with that

Advertisement

2. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    California Love
    I recommend you download astro manager to file manage

3. janpetras

janpetras Well-Known Member
    None

May 24, 2011
    ~/jan/
    The biggest shock you will have is the fact that this thing totally lacks a real task manager like the BlackBerry has.

Of course you can download a "task manager" but that's not really a MANAGER, it's more like a killer.

I really can't believe Android has all this function but lacks this feature. Just change the darn "Recent" menu with a Task Manager that allows you to actually close what you want and more importantly to make it STAY CLOSED.

I use a task killer but it seems worthless, they just turn back on and continue on going and going. WTH - if I close a thing or a service I want it to stay closed until I start it again.

4. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    First, to kindly correct the previous person, you do NOT need a task killer. Most BB converts come in thinking they must kill apps for the device to run smoothly.

Unlike BB, Android devices manage memory much better. Get rid of the task killer. It most likely is doing more harm than good.

Don't take my word for it. Research this topic. :)

All in all, if you keep an open mind, I think you'll enjoy the switch, but of course, it depends on if the device and platform work for you.

KENNECTED likes this.
  5. aperseghin

aperseghin Member
    None

May 24, 2011
    my mind is open.. Im not happy with the bbery completely anyway. im really looking for advice to make the switch go smoothly. i have a 8 gig sd card with all my pics and video but it is using the bbery folder structure.. how do i switch it over to android

6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    This is an excellent article that explains how multitasking works in Android and why you don't need a task manager/killer. It's all by design, and it's smart. Straight from a Google employee (Android developer).

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

7. novox77

Jul 7, 2010
    Most Android phones have an SD card for storing whatever you want on it. When you plug your phone into your desktop via a USB cable, you can mount that SD card as a drive (think thumb drive, mass USB storage). Create a folder and call it whatever you want (pics, photos, etc). Copy your photos to that folder.

That's it. When you unmount the SD card (or unplug the USB cable), Android will automatically find those images. When you open the "Gallery" app on the phone, your images will show there.

8. aperseghin

aperseghin Member
    None

May 24, 2011
    ok so android does not care where it is, it indexes the drive and finds appropriate data for apps (pics, videos, docs etc..)

So if i just make a folder structure like this
    Phone
    -Pictures
    --Album 1
    --Album 2
    --Album 3
    -Videos
    -Documents
    -Other

And load it appropriatly, then android will be happy?

9. novox77

Jul 7, 2010

yep. in addition, certain folder names are picked up for specific purposes:

alarms
    ringtones
    notifications

Any sound files in these folder names will show up in your choice of sounds under the respective types. If you want them all to show up on all lists, put these all in a folder called "media."

10. aperseghin

aperseghin Member
    None

May 24, 2011
    sweet, great info thanks

11. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Have you looked at any of the other threads created by those converting over from BB?

Export your contacts via Desktop Manager to a CSV file using the ASCII importer/exporter. Import the CSV file into your Google account. If you're already syncing with a PIM such as Outlook then see if you can export to CSV via the PIM.

Read up on how Android works. This dead horse is so beaten there's really nothing left of the carcass. If you approach Android assuming it should work like BBOS then you'll constantly have problems or, at the very least, carry over OCD BB practices that aren't necessary with Android.