• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

switching from IOS to Android - a few simple questions

tikigod19

May 26, 2011
Hi all, this is my first post on here as I'm considering moving from 4 years of iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy SII as I'm sick of the things the iPhone can't do and the lack of development that seems to be occurring!

I have 4 major issues with a straight switch to Android:

1) I've heard there is no 'search' function in the email app, is this correct? If so and if there is an app out there that does it (I've read something about touchdown) will this still be compatible with push emails and will I still get the standard notifications when emails arrive if I'm not using the default app. Also I don't have a gmail account so won't be using that app.

2) Is there an easy way to download podcasts that I'm subscribed to (currently via itunes)

3) If there any kind of app that enables you to trick the phone into thinking its on wifi when its only on 3G, in order to get wifi only apps to work. this is what I do with my iphone when out and about wanting to download a podcast for example.

4) there was one more but i've forgotten it :thinking:

I appreciate your time reading and would love to hear some of your thoughts on these points.

I've heard there is no 'search' function in the email app, is this correct?
First of all, there's no single email app. What's stock on your device depends on your specific device. That said, many find the stock app insufficient and use another email app. It's not like the iPhone.

If so and if there is an app out there that does it (I've read something about touchdown) will this still be compatible with push emails and will I still get the standard notifications when emails arrive if I'm not using the default app. Also I don't have a gmail account so won't be using that app.
Whoa, hold on.

First, Touchdown is an Exchange client. It's only applicable to Exchange and a few other mail servers -- see the Touchdown site for details.

Whether or not your email is push depends on your email account. You'd have to specify what types of accounts you're using. No mail client can turn a pull account into a push account. Push means that the server initiates the transfer as the mail arrives so there's way an app can change the server's behavior.

Notifications are available to any app. They're not restricted to just the stock apps.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
2) Is there an easy way to download podcasts that I'm subscribed to (currently via itunes)

3) If there any kind of app that enables you to trick the phone into thinking its on wifi when its only on 3G, in order to get wifi only apps to work. this is what I do with my iphone when out and about wanting to download a podcast for example.

i use Doggcatcher for podcasts. I think its about $6 to buy it but it has been worth every penny.

Doggcatcher is very customizable. I set mine to download new episodes every night at 1AM, but I can force a download anytime, wifi, 4G, 3G etc. I have never found a need to trick my phone into thinking its on wifi for any app.

Upvote 0
Hello there, I'll try to answer as best I can.

1) I've heard there is no 'search' function in the email app, is this correct? If so and if there is an app out there that does it (I've read something about touchdown) will this still be compatible with push emails and will I still get the standard notifications when emails arrive if I'm not using the default app. Also I don't have a gmail account so won't be using that app.

As has been mentioned previously, the default email app on your device is generally specific to that device. If you find it doesn't do what you want it too, try K9 as many people find that one more feature laden than the stock app.

DoggCatcher is a popular podcast app.

The only app I've encountered that demands a WiFi connection is the BBC iplayer app, all others work fine over 3G.

4) there was one more but i've forgotten it :thinking:

42?

If you've device specific questions, try asking here, but obviously feel free to use the other sections of the forum as you see fit! :)

Reactions: sweeds
Upvote 0

I've been happy with Google's own Listen app. Its free and you can set it to sync at specific times and download only when charging or on wifi or whenever you want. It has search functions or when you click on the rss feed for a podcast on a website it will automatically subscribe to it. It can also sync with a Google reader account if you have one so you can also listen to podcast on your computer and it will update which ones you've listened to.

Upvote 0
thanks so much for the replies everyone. Sorry I thought I said I will be going for the galaxy S2. Its on order, should be here any day.

Dogcatcher and google listen seem simple enough I love the idea of timed podcast sync's something that seemed to be missing from itunes. if like el presidente says iplayer is the only app needing wifi then I should be ok without tricking the phone, again something I have to do on iphone regularly (for example for podcasts on the go)

I will look into alternative email clients but my current email address receives push on the iphone fine and I also have a hotmail account and just signed up for gmail (if nothing else for an easy way to import contacts onto the samsung)

I have just watched a video about an app that lets you send text messages via a website if your phone is connected on wifi but I'm sure I read somewhere that with android 2.3 this is now a built in feature? if so is it possible to this when connected with USB cable instead of wifi? That would be a big time saver when texting from work.

thanks again for your help, i expect I'll be browsing these boards a lot in the coming weeks! I'm scared!!

Upvote 0
Just on the doggcatcher idea, will the podcasts that I download within the app play in the default music app or does doggcatcher have its own? I don't really like the very quiet fiddly google listen playback app

I play them inside Doggcatcher. Mostly use the Doggcatcher widget for play/pause. They will also show up in your Music app.

Upvote 0
Interesting question, I never really pay attention to how they appear in the music app.

So Adam Carolla's CarCast is one I just checked so I will use it as an example:
If I sort by song I get: CarCast EP322 : Description etc
If I sort by album I get: Adam Carolla's CarCast
If I sort by artist I get: ACE Broadcasting

All my other podcasts show up in a similar fashion.

Edit: there is no podcast heading in the music app. I wish there was, and an audiobook heading. As of now those are seperate applications from music. Coming from iTunes this feels a little odd at first but I got over it.

Upvote 0
I love how helpful all you androidians are being :D

I think you will appreciate what Android has to offer over iOS in all facets of hardware, software/OS, development, and community.

I would definitely check out K9 as an email client. I dont know much about podcasts but it seems like doggcatcher is the way to go. There are a lot of easy to use apps for syncing your iTunes library with your phones if you were interested in that as well.

Welcome to the Android Forums

Reactions: tikigod19
Upvote 0
ive noticed that on google listen if I dont listen to a daily podcast on sat thursday, by friday that one has been removed and i only have fridays to listed to.

I take it that is not the case with doggcatcher?

Also does goddcatcher resume where you left off if you close the app and come back to it later? Also does it have lockscreen controls?

Having said that I think someone said the podcasts show up in the default music player and that has lockscreen controls anyway so that could get round that if doggcatcher doesnt have its own

id love to know these things,

thanks

Upvote 0
Doggcatcher does remember your play position. And Samsung hands down has the best music player android has to offer, I usually listen to my podcasts throught that, it just comes up alphabetically in your music list. You can pause them in the list and exit the music player, it will remember, but I think the app is still running. I use the original SGS series, so maybe something's changed with the new generation.

Congrats on getting that phone, I'll be getting that one as soon as I can as well.

Upvote 0
thanks for your reply. Could you just confirm that with doggcatcher you can store multiple editions of a podcast and delete them (or even set them to automatically delete) when you have finished listening?

Unless its a setting I missed thats what I hate about google listen, only being able to store the most recent podcast from each feed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones