1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Switching LG Leon with Sony Xperia Z3 but keeping the service?

Discussion in 'Metro PCS' started by Gustav0, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Gustav0

Gustav0 Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2016
    Male
    Hello! I am looking to buy a used/refurbished Sony Xperia Z3 to replace my LG Leon. What's the procedure for doing that? Would it work if I just switch out the SIM card?

I just read that there are different models of that phone set up for different carriers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Xperia_Z3#Variants), and I also heard that MetroPCS uses T-Mobile's network. Will a T-Mobile phone work? How about an unlocked phone?

I am not very literate in technology, so I really appreciate your input! Thanks!

Advertisement

2. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

With Metro you'll have to associate the new phone with your SIM - I believe you can call, go to a store, or do it online.

An unlocked T-Mobile or AT&T phone will work. Some T-Mobile phones don't need to be unlocked to use Metro, some do... not sure if Z3 must be unlocked but I'd look for unlocked ones.

The T-Mobile version will have all the bands for best compatibility.

3. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX
    I've had great success at calling MetroPCS and switching the sim to the new phone. If you can do it, call from a different phone than the one you are switching over. If I remember correctly the number is 888-metro88. The customer service rep will ask you for the imei of the new phone and then associate your current sim with the new phone (if the current sim is of a correct size for the new phone you'll be able to just use it again).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk