1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Switching network from 4G to 3G...PERMANENTLY

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by THE Birdman, Jun 28, 2011.

1. THE Birdman

THE Birdman Lurker
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    Ok, I'm fed up with the fading in and out 4G signal that just drops straight down to the Edge network. Not to mention it's slower than the 3G connection on my old LG Vu. With that being said I know there is a #*#* number you can dial to access phone settings. I have done this before and messed around a little bit with the different network types however I didn't get very far or save any settings in fear of bricking this phone. I've had it since the week it was released and I knew from the getgo 4G wouldn't be the best right off the bat but it really has gotten worse than better I'm just getting tired of it. So has anyone screwed with their network settings to run their phone on just 3G?

Another reason I would really like to do this is in a month I'm moving from Chicago to a very rural part of Illinois with shit 4G coverage (according to the signal map on AT&T's website). I have been down there recently too (a month ago) and my signal was crap and I was on Edge most of the time. It's just so damn annoying that this phone drops you straight down to that network when you know there is 3G available, so I'd rather not have the 4G at all and just have a 3G connection. If anyone could help me out with this, it would be much appreciated. Sorry for the rant too :eek:

Advertisement

2. mzungu.andrew

mzungu.andrew Member
    None

AT&T has two different "types" of 4G, HSPA+ and LTE. LTE isn't out yet. But, under my settings I have the option to turn off H+ and go to Edge, but not just plain 'ol H (3G). H+ is basically just an enhanced backhaul of 3G though from what I have read.

So, I'm guessing your H+ is dropping in and out constantly? I think you're only option is to turn it off and just use Edge. I figured I would at least post something to try and help since no one else has, but if someone knows something I don't correct me please. Ha.