1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Switching phones on weekends

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by cosmonaut1959, Jan 19, 2014.

1. cosmonaut1959

cosmonaut1959 Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2012
    I hope I post this in the right place. I have service with Verizon and use a Samsung Note 2. I use it a lot at work but on weekends I wish I had a smaller flip phone. Can I buy a flip phone and just put the SIM card in it on weekends and switch back on weekdays without it causing issues? If yes is there certain phones I should be looking at or avoiding?
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    I don't think so. Verizon still works by ESN, not by SIM, and flipping ESNs every weekend is going to cause them to wonder.

3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

I moved this thread to the forum where Verizon-specific issues are discussed.

... Thom

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    EDIT: Depends on if the SIM is just for 4G and normal phone functions use CDMA (which I think is the arrangement in some US phones) or if everything is SIM based. If it's the former, you can't switch, as others have stated.

--------------------------

In theory yes, that's no problem. Bear in mind though that your note uses a microSIM (I believe) but more basic phones will probably use the larger standard size SIMs. When you were given your microSIM it probably came inside a full-SIM sized piece of plastic that you snapped it out of, in which case you can pop it back in. Or you can buy one for a few dollars.

5. Crude

Crude Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Nexusville
    You can transition between phones manually via their website. You have to do it manually and I highly doubt they will credit you for the days you don't have data. The Sim is for 4g only, you'll not find a Sim card on a flip phone.

What you are trying to do would work on a gsm network but not in CDMA.

6. cosmonaut1959

cosmonaut1959 Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2012
    Thanks everyone. yes it's a 4G card. Bummer. I am not worried about the lost data on weekends.

7. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

You should be able to switch to a 3G phone just by turning off the Note and dialing *228 on the flip phone. To switch back you have to use the website.

8. jkmasi

jkmasi Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2010
    I know that you would be able to switch on the website, as I've done it many times, but I don't think that Verizon flip phones take any type of sim. The problem would be, I think, when you try to switch back to your Note, you might be starting a new contract each time, since you would be re-adding a data plan. If you opened a second line for the flip phone, then you could just swap devices on your line each time via the website.

9. svensett

svensett Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Illinois
    Smart phone to smart phone isn't an issue, but going to a non-smart phone might be since the plans are different. I had to have a customer rep manually manipulate my account when I had issues with my first smart phone and wanted to temporarily switch back to a non-smart phone. This was 6-ish years ago, so maybe it's different now though.

I think the only way to find out for sure is visit a VZN store or talk to a CSR...