• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Switching ROM. Is there an easier way?

mcnob

May 14, 2010
OK, the way I do it is a full backup with my backup pro, wipe the phone completely, wipe the a2sd partition, clear the dalvik etc., load new rom and then proceed to re install everything from backup but my god what a fudge about.

Is it really necessary to wipe everytime? I see people talking about changing ROMs often so do you really go through this every time or am I just being over cautious?

No, sometimes you should only need to wipe if you are having problems with the new rom.

1) take a backup with rom manager (this backs up your entire phone exactly how it is)
2) take a titanium backup (just incase) (or you could use mybackup but titanium is what is recommended)
3) use rom manager to install rom from sd card. You dont have to wipe every time, but sometimes the rom devloper recommends it.

Upvote 0
No, sometimes you should only need to wipe if you are having problems with the new rom.

1) take a backup with rom manager (this backs up your entire phone exactly how it is)
2) take a titanium backup (just incase) (or you could use mybackup but titanium is what is recommended)
3) use rom manager to install rom from sd card. You dont have to wipe every time, but sometimes the rom devloper recommends it.

Exactly what i do.

(well kind of, tbh i only take a titanium backup now, and even thats automated to run every night)

So kinda don't do anything except flash the new rom :D

Upvote 0
I'm really big on snapshots. Its something that i use on a daily basis in my profession so the fact I can do it on my handset is wicked.

I have nandroid snapshots for every ROM I have installed (and liked) so I can revert to a fully functional rom with all my settings etc at ny time. All that is missing are SMS and call logs, which I can restore with Wavesecure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones