• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching SIM between phones and other issues: Metropcs

PhoenixDoe

Lurker
Feb 3, 2021
I called Metro customer service to switch my SIM to my unlocked Note 9. They were going to charge me $20. Then rep said she was going to send me a text and tell me how to do it and not charge me. I already know how to but I kept my mouth shut and waited for the text. The rep sent me some generic info about BYOP. I've tried to do it like I always do, and...fail. Now they want to charge me $20 to switch it to an unlocked phone and then $20 again if I switch it back to the One+. Really?! That's ********.

I'll pay once to register both IMEI's but I'm not going to pay every time I want to switch my SIM to another unlocked phone that I own.
They ought to be paying me cuz they lied lol.
They didn't even have a clue when it came to troubleshooting the connectivity. Luckily all I had to do was change it from automatic to only 5G / LTE which I did and now the OnePlus is fine, but I love my Note 9!

Metro-byT-mobile? Is anybody that represents them reading this? I'd also love to know how to REALLY reset my pin because the store rep put in some eight digit account pin. I told her to put in one but it was 4 digits. I had to get clever to reset my security answer too! Se put it in with the first letter capitalized and the fourth letter capitalized.

With all these fees you charge why can't you afford to rain your representatives both online and over the phone and maybe before someone buys into a franchise operation? I mean that would be good use of the money maybe then I'd pay fees.

I hope it's true that after 90 days I can unlock this phone. Is it?

What is this "register your IMEI" that you talk about? Is this some strange control-freakery from this carrier? It's not something that's technically required, so the carrier would have to add a check to their system to block you from using a different IMEI, which is either simple control freakishness or a deliberate money-making scheme. If you just change the SIM without this nonsense does it work or does it refuse to connect you?

(US carriers are weird...).

Upvote 0
Are all carriers in the US like this? Where you have to register the phone's IMEI, MEID, ESN, etc with them (and pay a fee?) before they'll activate service.

The original premise of GSM, WCDMA, LTE, etc. was that you were free to just insert the carrier SIM into any compatible phone you like, and it would work, and it's always been like that for me and everyone else I know. Of course I'm not in the US.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
I called Metro customer service to switch my SIM to my unlocked Note 9. They were going to charge me $20. Then rep said she was going to send me a text and tell me how to do it and not charge me. I already know how to but I kept my mouth shut and waited for the text. The rep sent me some generic info about BYOP. I've tried to do it like I always do, and...fail. Now they want to charge me $20 to switch it to an unlocked phone and then $20 again if I switch it back to the One+. Really?! That's ********.

I'll pay once to register both IMEI's but I'm not going to pay every time I want to switch my SIM to another unlocked phone that I own.
They ought to be paying me cuz they lied lol.
They didn't even have a clue when it came to troubleshooting the connectivity. Luckily all I had to do was change it from automatic to only 5G / LTE which I did and now the OnePlus is fine, but I love my Note 9!

Metro-byT-mobile? Is anybody that represents them reading this? I'd also love to know how to REALLY reset my pin because the store rep put in some eight digit account pin. I told her to put in one but it was 4 digits. I had to get clever to reset my security answer too! Se put it in with the first letter capitalized and the fourth letter capitalized.

With all these fees you charge why can't you afford to rain your representatives both online and over the phone and maybe before someone buys into a franchise operation? I mean that would be good use of the money maybe then I'd pay fees.

I hope it's true that after 90 days I can unlock this phone. Is it?
Yeah I've wanted to reach through the phone and strangle the reps they have working there. And those fees are such bullshit. When other carriers just have to take sim card out and put it in different phone . You don't even have to call them. Anyway .....yes you're phone can be unlocked after 90 days. Try and download the app for Metro unlock device...because if you have to call them for the code they will give you the run around.

Upvote 0
What is this "register your IMEI" that you talk about? Is this some strange control-freakery from this carrier? It's not something that's technically required, so the carrier would have to add a check to their system to block you from using a different IMEI, which is either simple control freakishness or a deliberate money-making scheme. If you just change the SIM without this nonsense does it work or does it refuse to connect you?

(US carriers are weird...).
It's probably a control thing. But I think enough people complained because you're supposed to be able to do it yourself through their metro app now.

Reactions: M1t0s1s
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones