1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Switching to T-Mobile $30 plan

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ThatonedudexP, Jan 28, 2014.

1. ThatonedudexP

ThatonedudexP Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Pre-service elementary teacher
    Tennessee, United States
    I'll make this as short as possible. :p I've been on ST's $45 plan for about 2.5 years. I realized a few days ago I've been paying for unlimited talk when I never really talk at all... I hopped on the web and started searching for prepaid plans to better fit my lack of chatting. I came across the T-Mobile prepaid $30 plan which includes 100 talk minutes and unlimited text and data. I also found the Virgin Mobile plan for the same thing but 300 talk minutes for $35 a month. T-mobile has better coverage in my area, so I'd like to buy a phone from Google Play store and order a T-mobile sim to place inside it.

Does anyone know of any other low-talk prepaid plans such as these? Are the phones provided on Google Play store mean they run efficiently on T-Mobile prepaid? I've been with ST and strictly used ST provided phones for nearly 4 years,so this whole switching carriers while using a phone not provided by said carrier seems intimidating. :p Any comments, tips, etc are greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisement

2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Consumer Cellular has the potential to keep you bill low depending on how much you use your phone. They run on AT&T towers, though don't have access to the LTE network. Google Play devices should support AT&T or T-Mobile completely, though I believe the Moto G GPE doesn't support T-Mobile's main HSPA frequency.

I've moved this to the carrier/device comparisons forum for better responses and objective opinions.

ThatonedudexP likes this.
  3. ThatonedudexP

None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Tennessee, United States
    You replied and moved my thread within two seconds. I'm calling you The Flash from now on. :p Thanks for the advice! :) If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to post them. :)

4. ThatonedudexP

None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Tennessee, United States
    I looked into CC a bit. A quick question: Do you have to purchase a talk plan AND a text/data plan together every month? I find it odd that their cheapest talk plan is $10, but you still pay extra for every minute you use. The $15 talk plan + the $20 data/text plan would provide 200 talk minutes, 5,000 texts and 500mb for $35. Not bad :)

5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, they're great for people who aren't glued to their devices. Plus running on AT&T's towers makes it a bargain depending on which package you buy.

6. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

It's hard to make a recommendation without also knowing how much text and data you use because every carrier has different limits for usage. When you only need 500MB a month I'd recommend a different company then if you needed 4GB. If you do need 3-4GB T-Mobile is a good option.

From your posts it sounds like 100 minutes and 500MB is enough for you - if so I'd check out Ting. They bill based on usage, and those two amounts with them result in very low bills. I have Ting and use WiFi for most data to keep costs down. If they're a good option for you the link in my signature below will save you some money.

7. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Should be mentioned, Ting uses Sprint's network. Question, can Ting roam on Verizon?

8. mrnyjet

mrnyjet Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2013

consumer cellular just added lte access to their plans.

jhawkkw likes this.
  9. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Yep, Ting gives you free voice and text roaming on Verizon, but no data roaming. Most other Sprint MVNOs (Boost, Virgin Mobile) don't have any roaming.

rui-no-onna likes this.
  10. ThatonedudexP

None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Tennessee, United States
    Thanks for the replies Kate, jhawkkw, rui-no-onna, and mrnyjet. :) If only Ting used Verizon network and roamed on Sprint LOL. :) Sprint has terrible service in my area. I like the idea behind Ting though. I would have chosen the max data plan for $30 with consumer cellular, but that would make the total $45 for limited talk minutes. With Straight Talk I already pay $45 a month for unlimited talk. :p I believe T-Mobile just added voice/text roaming and hotspotting at the end of last year on their prepaid plans. If anyone has any other advice, feel free to post. :)

11. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Agree. Seems like all the really good MVNO's are on T-Mobile or Sprint. Nothing quite as innovative on AT&T or Verizon.

12. ThatonedudexP

None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Tennessee, United States
    To use Consumer Cellular, would I just buy a sim card off AT&T but activate the phone under CC?

13. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    No, you would have to get them from CC directly. They have a way to purchase them directly on their website.

14. mrnyjet

mrnyjet Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2013

you might check Sears, they carry their phones and maybe the sim byop packet also.

15. ThatonedudexP

None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Tennessee, United States
    Thank you both for replying! :) That's pretty snazzy, actually. Our small town has a mini-Sears, but I'll stop by. If anyone has any other suggestions please tell them. :)