1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Swype 3 will not install

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by muzzman, Jul 5, 2011.

1. muzzman

muzzman Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    Consultant
    New Zealand
    I registered, clicked on the link from my Desire, beta.swype.com/android/get
    The Swype installer sends "downloading" message, but after that, even after waiting a LONNNNNG time, nothing happens. I have researched different options but no sight of the installation apk. I have also made sure that my phone can download non store apps.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. SiHa

SiHa Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Southampton, UK.
    Sorry, I can't give you much advice other than to say that it worked on my Desire, so it's worth persevering.
    Have you got any previous of Swype installed? If so, try removing both the app and the installer.
    Failing that, maybe a factory reset?

Edit: You could try a different download method (3G / H / WiFi).

3. thebillington

thebillington Well-Known Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Male
    Student, Freelance Dev
    Newcastle, UK
    I had the same problem when I tried installing it. To solve it I restarted my phone and started the swype installer, then re-downloaded the swype .apk file. After this it installed okay.

4. muzzman

None

Apr 26, 2011
    Consultant
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the comment. I did not have Swype previously installed so no issue there. I did do a power off and on, but not sure I want to do a factory reset! I did read somewhere with older versions you could download the zip file to your pc and then move the apk file to the Desire root. That option is no longer available because when you go to download it from a PC an error message appears saying that you are not accessing it from a mobile.

I usually use wireless for all downloading and have tried at both home and work. I will try now with 3G but dont hold out much hope.

5. muzzman

None

Apr 26, 2011
    Consultant
    New Zealand
    Thanks, I have powered off and restarted but no difference. I have cleared everything from the downloader, reclicked on the email link, but nothing much happens. The "Downloading" message appears but after that, nothing! Oh well , keep on it. :D

6. muzzman

None

Apr 26, 2011
    Consultant
    New Zealand
    I eventually found this from the Swype forum.

Once the download starts, you need to launch it manually, as your browser won't automatically launch downloads once they're complete. The download progress should show up in your notification bar (the pulldown bar at the top), or you can see your downloads by opening your browser, pressing the Menu button, and going to More -> Downloads. Downloads are stored, by default, on your SDcard in the /downloads folder. If you're having trouble, you can use a file browser app (such as Astro File Manager) to navigate to that directory and open Swype-Installer.apk manually.

Tags: