• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I didn't know an app like this existed until this thread. I'm trying it out for the day. So far its pretty neat. Though i'm having a hard time with words with double letters (like tapping and haha)

any tips?

You don't have to be super accurate, You just have to get it in the general area. There are only so many words that could be possible for any given pattern and if it's not sure what you wanted you will get a word choice box to pick from. For double letters just make a little swirly on the letter, doesn't have to be exactly on the letter just close.

To those of you worried about the beta running out, I was using the one patched over for us but the file was called swype-lite and was no where near 12 mb, the only difference between the beta and the other version that I had is the color of the word choice box and that the outline of the keyboard doesn't light up when deleting a word back.

Upvote 0
I must admit, I was rather skeptical about Swype. I type ~75wpm on Smart Keyboard Pro in portrait. Didn't think I needed it.

Downloaded the beta. Tapping to type is horribly, horribly slow, and I wish they'd further optimize that, because it feels weird swyping with two hands.

However, I'm extremely happy to report that I'm swyping on average 68wpm (hit 76 on one test, but with a single error) with one hand after about 15 minutes of practice. Amazing stuff, and it's crazy accurate at fixing my random flails when my thumb makes a course correction mid-word.

Amazing stuff.

Upvote 0
I was a happy leaked swype user.
Now I'm not so happy, as swype regularly re-minds me that my version has expired.

I signed up for the beta release last Saturday...currently waiting for download info :(
If they ran out of slots for their beta program, I really hope they have a final version available soon.

going back to a non-swype keyboard kinda sux :(

Upvote 0
i just signed up for the beta and got the email instantly.

+1 for me...received the email seconds after I signed up.

An interesting note...I'm still using the latest leaked version (1.16.12.5228, one of the 'lite' versions over on XDA), and haven't received any sort of expiration notification. Are all the expirations coming for the older version (0.39.3959)?

Upvote 0
Moment user infiltrating here; it works dandy on mine. Double tapping on words for the selection works peachy keen, and having the sounds and haptic feedback now no longer make the keyboard glitchy and unusable. I'm liking it even more now. The only thing that I have to say about this; it's STILL missing some of the functionality that ShapeWriter offers. They both have tradeoffs.

Swype is hella better for actual text input. It's alot more forgiving and accurate.

Shapewriter has better ease of ease of functionality. Things like cutting and pasting I find alot easier, it's more responsive to editing what you type.

Honestly, I prefer Swype to ShapeWriter simply because it's easier to use with typing.

Upvote 0
This morning I did a reboot to test battery usage. Once booted I got a message from swype (the "official" swype) saying that it was not compatible with my phone (should have written down the exact wording but didn't).

Went to send a text and it would not swype. It would only let me type.

I rebooted and it's been working fine. I'm assuming it's something to do with 2.1.

Not griping, since I expected some bugs til the official OTA is out. Just curious if any one else has seen this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones